Tuesday, January 7, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries - 1-7-2020


Arizona Snowbird




1-7-2020: Arizona or BUST

I am a snowbird. It sounds better than: I am an old lady doing what all the other old folks do in the winter... head for Arizona. It was time I found out what being retired is all about. I shut off the water to the house, turned down the oil heat to just above freezing, shut off the lights and packed every pair of underwear I own.

And waited...my traveling partner was having a hard time getting free of work and other obligations. We were leaving Tuesday for sure...then Wednesday, then maybe Thursday if everything comes together. I have two issues with that: 1. I was watching the weather and some gnarly looking storms were coming in starting Thursday. I'm a huge chicken when it comes to hauling on bad roads. 2. I packed every pair of underwear I own. I had to leave!

I finished cramming my LQ full of everything a person, two dogs and two horses might need for who knows how long. I had a set plan on day of departure in my head – the rest...pretty much shooting from the hip. I was told not to de-winterize my LQ since it can get pretty dang cold down here in Nevada. I can attest to that as I sit here typing this in Wells Nevada in my triple layer fuzzy socks my mom got me for Christmas. I packed a 7 gallon container of water to flush the toilet and water the horses in the event I didn't find a place to board.

Boarding. Nobody knows what their address is here in Nevada. Google doesn't know either and I thought the big G new everything. I got on-line to hunt down boarding facilities along the way. I found several...none with an actual address. I called numbers on each one – no answer. Finally, a fellow shooter got a hold of another fellow shooter ...who possible knew of a place to board. No address though - and the phone number was one of the outdated information on the website. I figured how hard can it be? If I actually make it alive to Wells, I'll worry about where to park my ass at that time. If all else failed, I would pull into the local rodeo grounds – which, by the way – does not allow over-nighters. Perhaps whoever comes to throw me out will know of a place to board!

Armed with vague directions to a boarding facility; “Turn into town – go left – go South past the ugly blue barn – go down three houses – turn left at the sign with the cow on it. Something like that. Hard to read the text when your frantically trying not to run over grandma on her way to the slots.

I pulled into a gas station to ask directions. The only thing I really learned at said gas station is gay men, really hot gay men, have no clue about horse boarding facilities...but damn it, he would give me directions even if they were wrong. And they were.

5 miles out of town on The Great Basin highway toward some place called “Melandco” it was apparent I needed to find a spot big enough to flip a “U-E” in a 33ft goose-neck. Back in the correct general direction (really just a guess) and barely avoiding colliding with granny once again – I stumbled onto the rodeo grounds. Sure enough – just past the rodeo grounds stood a big blue barn. Was that the really ugly barn? Didn't look ugly to me at all and it appeared to have stalls. I like blue. I'm checking it out.

I inquired at a double wide parked on-site. The folks inside didn't own the barn/arena anymore – but they were more than willing to let me board my horses and hook up for the night. The not-so-ugly barn turned out to be a fairly nice indoor arena with stalls along both sides. I settled the horses in and went about setting up camp.

The electrical didn't work. I was going to freeze my ass off here in Wells. I called the number on the wall and left a message. “Wilde Brough” (coolest name ever) called me back in short order. Wilde walked me through where to find the breaker box. Was I on the south end? The South East end? By the time I was finished trying to explain which side of the barn I was parked on – I had Wilde doubting I was even in Wells.

With a little deductive reasoning on which direction the sun was setting and a LOT of trial and error – I managed to flip the correct breaker. I called Wilde back to let him know he didn't need to make a trip in. He was happy to hear I wouldn't be freezing my ass of in Wells Nevada and I promised to tell all of his Snow Bird friends HI when I got to Arizona. He failed to mention just who those people are by name – but I get the feeling after talking to him that just about anybody you ran across in these parts would know Wilde Brough.

Before I go to sleep tonight – I will pray for clear roads again tomorrow. I keep hearing that if I make it to Ely – I'm golden. My weather app says 40% chance of precipitation for Wells tonight. I will try to put more faith in Gods answered prayers than the weather bug app.

No comments:

Post a Comment