Monday, September 16, 2024

Trail Log: 9-13-2024

I can see my moms place. You can barely see my place in the far left

 

  • Trail: Cornucopia HWY - Dixie Creek
  • Miles: 6.12
  • Riders: Self 
  • Horses: Drifter
  • Dogs: Groot


Notes: Friday the 13th. Didn't realize the date until writing this trail log. Good thing I'm not superstitious. 

I'm over ponying. Neither one need the practice anymore and it's a pain in the butt. Both pony well enough but it's still a pain in the butt. It limits what you can do and frankly, makes what should be an enjoyable ride a lot of work. So - I'm taking them one at a time. Today was Drifter's turn. 

This was Drifters real first solo ride beyond adventuring out a mile or two outside the back gate. I unloaded at the end of the highway. In keeping with my "I need the exercise philosophy, I walked and led Drifter the mile to the cattle guard and rode from there. 

I picked a road I don't think I've ridden. It follows Dixie creek and eventually meets up with Holbrook Creek (according to Avenza)



This being Drifters solo debut - I planned to keep the miles short. I was about to turn around when something caught Groot and Drifter's attention. I heard something coming off the hill just above the hairpin curve about 100 yards above us. I didn't see its head but it was unmistakably canine: smoky blue/grey and black and 200 lbs. If it had been a coyote, Groot would have chased it. He wasn't having anything to do with it. 98% sure it was a wolf. It loped (huge strides) down the V of the canyon parallel to us. I waited for Drifter to calm down a little before riding on another 30 feet. Another one came off the same trail and disappeared after the first. Wolves don't worry me too much but I know they will attack your dog so thought it best to turn around while it was still daylight. Groot and Drifter both kept a concerned eye on the canyon below as we rode back. I wish I'd been able to get a picture of them but just like Bigfoot - it ain't happening. This is the second time I've ran into wolves in this general area. It's funny, people look at you like you are full of shit- they assume you saw a coyote...a fox or the farmers dog. Like I've never seen a coyote, a fox or the farmers dog. 

I dismounted to pick up a couple pieces of tube-iron I'd found laying on the side of the road. I can use that in a welding project. I walked for another mile or so before climbing back aboard at the cattle guard and riding to the trailer. Drifter did great. It helps that he's not buddy sour and has a lot of confidence. 

I made it home safe to discover the underside of my bumper pull is jacked up and could have fallen off the axel at any moment. I can't decide if I'm the luckiest person on the planet or God just looks after fools and little children. I do know which of those I am. 

Drifter is more tolerant of Groot when solo




No comments:

Post a Comment