Sunday, July 19, 2020

Trail Log: 7-19-2020



Trail: Sweet - Bigger's Ranch
Miles: 9.37
Riders: Self - Teri - Bev
Horses: Jack - Woody - Hick
Dogs: Cinch, Rowdy, Axle, ??

Notes: If this keeps up, I'm going to rethink my whole cow phobia. More fun in the saddle than I've had in a long time! Bev invited us to gather and move cows. It was well worth getting up at 3:30 AM in order to get there by 6:30 AM. I met Teri at her place in Emmett and followed her to Bev's. 

We split up at the start...I went to the top of one draw along the fence-line, Teri went up the opposite ridge and Bev up the middle. I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cows. I felt somewhat more confident when one of Bev's dogs went with me.....even if he were a Weirmaraner bird dog. I looked at Axle...Axle looked at me...we got this; pretend their a flock of Chukar and get 'er done. 

We gathered them from several draws and a hay field and put them in a corral to be sprayed down before moving them to another pasture. 

Some of the prettiest country I've ridden in Idaho. Absolutely stunning and the Bigger ranch looks to have stepped right out of my dreams. I could live there pretty easy. Hope to get invited back! Maybe I'll take Hank with me next time...he's pretty good at flushing up birds and Axle can show him a thing or two about being a cow dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment