Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Trail Log: 10-7-2020


 

  • Trail: WRT - Galloway to Concrete
  • Miles: 9.41
  • Max MPH: 24.9
  • Riders: Self
  • Horses: Jack 
  • Dogs: Hank


Notes: I practiced off J'Lo in the morning and hauled Jack to the WRT after a quick stop at Bi-Mart for dog food and primers. I see primers are hard to come by again. Go figure. :( 

October is my favorite month. So far it has not disappointed. Beautiful weather and the trail was teeming with water foul, game birds and coyote. I also ran into the guy who takes care of 85 miles of the trail. He was spraying for leafy spurge. I asked him about the trestle bridge that was washed out  past Council. He said they are going to have it replaced, but had to raise 160K dollars. It's a big project that has to be engineered. Between donations, fund raisers and grants...it sounds like they have the money. 

It was nice not having to pony. I let Jack run on the stretches where the ground isn't too gravely or littered with badger holes. He clocked out at a nice 24.9 MPH...which apparently is just under the maximum speed required to catch a pheasant in your teeth. We're buzzing along, minding our own business, when a flock of pheasant blow up in front of us. One of them dang near whacked me in the face. 1/10th mph faster and I'd have been picking feathers out of my grill! As it was, all I felt was a few tail feathers brush my cheek. It's a good thing, too...I don't have my bird stamp yet! Jack never broke stride. 



No comments:

Post a Comment