Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Trail Log: 8-6-2021


 


  • Trail: Sheep Lake - West Yellowstone
  • Miles: 12.2
  • Riders: Self - Bev
  • Horses: Jack - Hick
  • Dogs: Hank - Cynch


Notes: A brief trail log does not do this adventure justice. I will be putting together a blog piece as soon as I get a chance to breath. Not sure when that will be, however. Life these days is pretty much a whirlwind! Apparently, I like it that way because I have nobody to blame but myself! 

A brief summary of our ride. Bev wanted to ride to Sheep Lake. I wanted to stay put, take a shower and get cleaned up for the Dave Stamey concert. A girl wants to look her best when she meets up with her future ex husband. 

Bev won. She has a way of shaming a person in to things: "But, I took an extra day off so I could trail ride!" (Big sad eyes) Ugh. Ok. I saddled up - set my timer for 2 hours and told Bev we would turn back in two hours regardless. It is a 3 hour ride to the lake. We wouldn't be making it this trip. Period.

My timer goes off and we are less than a quarter mile from the lake. Bev's horse is a walker. We view the lake and haul ass off the mountain. Three miles from the trailers and a massive thunderstorm hits. Rain, hail...thunder and lightening. The storm swelled the creek crossing 3x their size and 2 inches of water ran down the trail like a river. 



We make it to the trailers soaked to the bone. Back at the Diamond P - a cover band has been playing for 30 minutes. Thank God. I had not yet missed Dave. I ran into my trailer and put on a dry pair of pants. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get out of a wet pair of blue jeans? 

I threw on a dry hat to cover my wet hair and plopped down center stage less than 2 minutes before Dave walked on stage (actually a flat bed trailer). Dave entertained the shooters in the pouring rain and wind. Already soaked to the bone, I shivered underneath a borrowed disposable poncho. 

Dave was awesome. Any other entertainer would have cancelled. Not Dave. Not my future ex husband. He's tough. He carries a pocket knife and he can sing, to boot. 


Stay tuned for the full blog piece. Coming soon....ish. Coming soon'ish. 


Dave Stamey







No comments:

Post a Comment