Friday, April 14, 2023

Trail Log: 4-13-2023


 


  • Trail: Robson's Mining World
  • Miles: 3.2
  • Riders: Self - Phil
  • Horses: Jack -Tank
  • Dogs: Hank - Groot - Pearl


Notes: I've been wanting to check out this site since I first arrived in AZ 4 years ago. I always stop beneath the "Maricopa Warrior" sign for a quick break and to thank the weary road spirits that I am almost home. The warrior, astride his pinto war pony - sits near the the Maricopa/Yavapai county border. I'm not sure which county he actually resides. I doubt he thought much about borders when his likeness roamed these deserts. I digress...anyhow - I finally made a plan to haul the short drive from Aguila, park beneath my warrior and ride into the "Robson's Mining World." To say it was not what I expected would be an understatement. I expected a washed out mining claim where you pay an old bearded hermit 7 dollars to pan gold in his roadside tourist trap. Not at all. The place is a "gold mine" of  Arizona history that rivals world class museums while maintaining an authentic, "old timey" atmosphere. 

Opera House seating. Those chairs recline and are SUPER comfy


We tied the horses to a paloverde tree, paid the lady caretaker 15 bucks for a guided tour and was immersed in an era long past. Way too much for a short trail log - blog to follow. 

Jack was a little sore footed after fresh shoes the day before so the 3 mile short ride was plenty for him. I ended up leading him back to the trailers. I will be going back to a 7 or 8 week schedule for resets. I've notice people shoe their horses often and quite short in these parts...especially performance horses. Maybe they think it looks "neater?" I don't know - I just know my horse usually has really big feet and until getting on this different shoeing schedule has never taken a lame step. Aside from Jack being sore footed - it was a great day. I'm going back to visit more sites in this area including petroglyphs and pounding/grinding holes in the bedrock. 



No comments:

Post a Comment