Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Periwinkles to Prom Queen


 I scanned through hundreds of folders containing thousands of photos in search of the perfect one to commemorate my daughter’s birthday. I could have chosen from dozens of staged, posed shots of an exceptionally beautiful baby girl to the stunning woman she is today. I sifted through boxes of .35 mm images of photogenic pre-schooler to prom queen.

We didn’t have a lot of money. We didn’t have any money, to speak of. Just the two of us. A single mom and a kid some folks at the time called: “underprivileged.” After-all, what could a kid, raised by a single mom with no formal higher-education expect to accomplish in this world? Any damn thing she desires. I say that now – 30 some years later ….at the time, it hurt. If you are not careful, a person can begin to believe the words of others. I thank God and a pinch of tenacity I stopped listening.

We didn’t have the resources to go to Disney Land, take real vacations or buy fancy toys. An outing for us was a little different than others I suspect. If we had the money, we would stop at Eddy’s day old bread factory for a loaf to feed the ducks at the park. We would walk around the pond making up stories about each duck; what their life was like and who they would be if they were people.

The ducks in the pond gave me a kind of hope as well. I figured no matter how bad things got – we could always come down here and kill us a duck for dinner. I laugh at that now – at the time I was quite serious. I never could see how people went hungry in the city with all the slow moving water fowl that weren’t at all afraid of people.  Need toilet paper? Public restrooms are full of it.

One image caught my eye. Athena is maybe 4 years old. We are filthy, soak-and-wet, smelling like fish guts and smiling from ear to ear. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I chose this picture because to me it reflects a lot of what our life was and who my daughter has become.

The picture was taken on one of our more extravagant outings. We had enough gas to go “home” for the weekend. Home at that time was Halfway Oregon. We drove toward Summit Lookout until we found a suitable spot to pull over. We took the fishing gear we borrowed from my dad and commenced to go fishing. It didn’t matter we had forgotten to get bait. Athena delighted in splashing in the creek turning over rocks, plucking periwinkles and stuffing them in her sandwich baggie (after she ate the peanut butter and jelly for lunch). Periwinkles make excellent bait. Getting them on a hook is a different story.

I can’t tell you if we caught any fish. I think we did. I remember smelling like we did. What I do remember is how much fun we had. Splashing in the creek. Hunting for periwinkles. Getting dirty from head to toe. Propping up my camera, setting it on self-timer and racing back to get in the photo and tripping over my own two feet multiple times before getting it done. If digital cameras were available back then – I sure didn’t have one. I was using the Minolta film camera I bought on lay-a-way at Ontario Camera. Is there even such a thing as lay-a-way anymore? I doubt it. I imagine the credit card has replaced the concept of receiving goods after they are paid for – even if it took 2 years.

When I see this picture, I don’t see a single mom, statistically preordained to amount to squat. I don’t see a child society has labeled “underprivileged” and destined to struggle throughout life. I see a little girl with the imagination to be entertained by a pond of ducks and the heart to spend her pennies on bread to feed them. I see a little girl who understands a person does not have to be wealthy to be rich. A little girl who is rich in love, kindness and compassion for others. I see a little girl who didn’t need the latest gadget to keep her entertained. I see a girl who could spend hours hunting periwinkles, making mud pies and laughing until her belly hurts, all without spending a dime.

I see my daughter and the person she has become. Beautiful inside and out. Her compassion and kindness for others has grown with her. Combined with faith in her Lord Jesus and the capacity to see the goodness in others is a powerful combination. Her ability to forgive and find patience with others far exceeds my own and leaves me humbled.

My daughter is a gift to me from God. I knew that the day she was born and I know it today. She is the substance that keeps our often bat-shit-crazy family together. She feels the emotional and spiritual pain of everyone around her. She seems to absorb it as if to do so would spare them from feeling it themselves. If I could take that one thing from her I would, but I cannot. I am not strong enough.


Happy Birthday Athena Marie. May you always remember that sometimes the best dinners are those you catch your-self.

Love Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment