Sunday, July 7, 2019

Trail Log - June 2019 - Multi

J'Lo hanging at the newly redesigned corral/tack up station


  • Trails: Grouse Creek
  • Miles: 20 +/-
  • Riders: Self - Sharon - Jones - Pam
  • Horses: J'Lo - Ellie - Raycine - Bay mare
  • Dogs: Hank, Shade, Rolland and Ben



Notes: I've spent the last 60 days working around my place and getting things ready for "retirement." Jack was at a trainers in Lone Pine for that 60 days. I took the opportunity to redesign my corrals and tack shed area.

Other than some mounted shooting here and there, I was limited to a few short rides when I could squeeze them in. I think I'm missing a few for my log but whatever. :P

WRT

J'Lo is not much of an "in your pocket" kind of horse. With Jack gone - she became one. You can tell she really missed him...almost as much as me. She's been taking up the slack with Jack gone as my IMO and everyday riding horse. She's not a real fan of IMO and is a bit doggy - but she goes. It's not her fault, really - she's just not in that type of shape for sustained long trotting and hill climbing.

 I took Sharon, and then Sharon,  Jones and Pam on a short ride up Grouse Creek. It was a beautiful day for both rides. The trail follows the creek most of the way, making it an excellent trail for the dogs to come along.

Sharon and Ellie

This was the first time Sharon has ridden with me since I got us lost a few years ago. She assures me time and circumstances are the real reason but...I'm not so sure. ;) Click here for a write up of that adventure: Horses and Hobos

Anyhow - I'm sure glad to have her back in the saddle with me and look forward to the day Ralph heals up from hip surgery and can join us.

We decided to to share Grouse Creek with Jones and Pam a few days later. The all female troupe saddle up and followed me cross country as I struggled to find the passable water crossings that take you up the creek toward The Crawfords place and Devils Hole. We did manage to bush-whack our way as far as we wanted to go for the day. As always - the trail was much easier to follow on the way back. We stopped at Homestead for a bite to eat and made plans to explore more of this very cool area.
Jones and Pam

I picked Jack up from boot camp about a week later. I've never been so happy to see anybody or anything in my life. I think he was pretty happy to see me, too. He learned SO much in boot camp and I now have a backup shooting horse. I won't be rushing it - as that is where I went wrong with him when I first started shooting. We will take our time and from what his trainer (Kitty Lauman) tells me - I will have a seasoned shooting horse with the speed and ability to take me to a level 6 or as far as I want to go in mounted shooting. I'll do my best not to shoot him in the ear and screw it up this time!


Jack and J waiting to kill some balloons


No comments:

Post a Comment