Sunday, May 9, 2021

The Desert Gypsy - Tasmanian Devils and Gila monsters

 

5-2-2021: It's been exactly 7 days since I swore if God got me to Aquila with that unwieldy load of arena panels without killing anyone, I'd give up Margarita's for a week. God held up his end and I held up mine. When Grandov's asked where I wanted to go for lunch, I picked Nichols West in Congress. They make one of the best margarita's in the area. So good, in fact...I can't really remember what I had for lunch. I was glad Linda was driving – tequila might not make my clothes fall off...but it sure makes me forget where I put them.


5-3-2021: Fred and Cindy made huge progress on the horse pens/shelter. It looks like it's about ready for tin. It will be nice to have some shade to work under. Although the heat doesn't seem to bother either of them. They never seem to slow down.


I think the guys I hired to "locate" the water line were relieved I'd found and dug it up myself. All they need to do now is put in a junction box, a T and 2 valves. It's something I could do myself but would rather have somebody else to blame if anything goes south. I've learned the necessity of staying one step ahead of Murphy whenever feasible.


5-4-2021: My initial plan when moving to AZ was to put in a modular home and have contractors take care off all the permitting. After checking on the cost of them...I decided to wait it out and stay off the grid. Grandov's sent me the contact information of a guy who is delivering propane to the Aguila area: Tim with Freedom Propane.

Tim came out to check out where to put the propane tank. He brought his four year old son, Charlie, along for the ride. They don't get much cuter than little Charlie. He filled me in on how his aunt lets him ride her horses. He's not sure he really likes riding horses but he thinks maybe he will when he's bigger. He's getting bigger everyday and had a fun time on his last birthday. He likes blue otter pops and thanked me politely when I handed him one out of the freezer.


After Tim and Charlie left, I wandered back to the construction zone to help where I could. I helped Fred hoist sheets of tin on the roof so Cindy didn't have to climb up and down. That girl stayed on that hot roof the entire day. It's a good thing those two are partners – he couldn't afford her otherwise.


They say if you want it to rain, wash your car. Similar thing goes with wind and roofing. If you want the wind to blow – start hucking metal over your head onto a roof. We would no more than get a few sheets up on the roof when a Tasmanian dirt devil would start building and winding it's way straight toward us. One especially large twister had Cindy sprawled over three sheets of tin while Fred grabbed for two others trying to commit suicide over the roof edge. The dirt devil – unhappy with his foiled plans of wreaking havoc on the roofers – picked a single sheet of tin off the trailer – tossed it in the air and set it down on the ground beside the flatbed without a scratch. At least that's something.


I'm thinking I did not miss my calling by not becoming a roofer. Heaving heavy sheets of metal over your head requires muscles I didn't know existed. I preferred running the tractor. I'm definitely way better at tractor operation than hucking tin. Tractoring takes less muscle and Ibuprofen at the end of the day.


5-6-2021: I decided to give Fred and Cindy a break from my self-perceived helpfulness. Fearing I'm more in the way than actually providing any real semblance of "help" – I try to limit my assistance to cleaning up scrap pipe ends, holding down things that shouldn't move, moving things that should and attaching myself to the dumb end of the tape measure. Enter: Cousin Phil.


I had messaged Cousin Phil and asked if he was still in AZ or headed North. He responded that he was in town for a few more days. Phil had moved south with his daughter and son in law. They live just up the road in Forepaugh. With most of the Snowbirds gone, I had guessed right by assuming he was bored and ready to do some exploring. I invited him to check out Vulture City;. A restored old mining town built in 1863 and touted as Arizona's richest gold mine. Current day – Vulture City can be found featured on paranormal TV shows such as: Haunted Case Files.


This was my third trip to Vulture City. The restoration has progressed nicely with each visit. I see something different each time. We didn't see any ghosts– but I did spot the biggest lizard I've seen outside of The Yucatan Peninsula: A Gila Monster. Not the most attractive creature on the planet but kind of cool looking all the same. After spotting my Gila Monster – I heard on the radio that Gila sightings...normally very rare - are occurring with more frequency as of late. Some cultures believe increased Gila sightings mean the monsoon's will be strong! I sure hope so – it's drier than a popcorn fart out there.



By the time Phil and I got back to Aguila – the mare motel was complete. It might be the most beautiful thing I've seen since Gerard Butler in 300. Well...maybe not Leonidas beautiful...but nice all the same.


After watching the structure go up each day, I knew it was well built and square to a gnats ass. That was no surprise. What made me smile was finishing touches like the horse shoe gate latches and halter hooks. My horses may not appreciate the time and skill Fred and Cindy put into that thing – but I certainly do. I know they will be safe, secure and comfortable and that means more to me than all the Spartans in Greece.




2 comments: