Thursday, December 2, 2021

Trail Log: 11-26-2021

Old homestead out in the middle of Tombstone Desert



  •  Trail: Old Tombstone
  • Miles: 18
  • Riders: TGR shooters (a whole shit load of them)
  • Horses: TGR horses


Notes: One of the coolest thing about the Tombstone shoot is riding into Old Tombstone on your horse and tying up at the bull riding arena. The downside is riding in a big group. It seldom goes well. Horses acting crazy - folks piling up and stopping for no apparent reason. Jack isn't a particularly fast walker, but he's not slow. He was chomping at the bit - grinding his teeth and on the muscle for the first two miles. I'd had enough. Phil and I dove off the trail and rode back toward the monument. We explored an old homestead until we figured the group was far enough ahead we wouldn't catch them. We rode on in to Tombstone and tied up at the bull riding arena. Found a great little place to have lunch. We milled around until the majority of the group had headed back. I tried to go back a different direction to avoid town but ran into a fence line and had to go back. On the way through the rocks, Twister lost her shoe again. The couple that owns the arena offered to haul her and Phil back to the livery. I was happy to get to ride back since Jack was still feeling spunky and needed a few more miles. By the time it was all said and done, Jack and I got a little under 20 miles in. Sometimes it takes him a good 16 miles before he starts to act like a real horse and drop his head. Regardless - I wouldn't trade him for a dozen Arabs and a Gypsy Vanner. I love my big gnarly war horse. 

Jack and I won 2nd on Saturday and finished 1st on Sunday! I could not have been more thrilled. We outran the gal that beat us on Saturday by picking up some speed and shooting clean. Great ending to a fun week in Old Tombstone! 

Weekend winnings! 



No comments:

Post a Comment