Monday, November 11, 2019

Trail Log: 11-9-2019



Trail: Twin Springs Rd to Nyssa (Twilight)
Miles: 11.4
Max mph: 18.5
Riders: Self - Lee - various others
Horses: J'Lo - Prince - various others

Notes: I had the last week pretty well planned out as far as what/where I was riding. Things seldom work out as planned so shuffled the deck and played the hand that was dealt. Turned out pretty good. Bagged a couple organized rides and took up an invite to help move cows on Saturday. I've only moved cows a few other times. Sometimes it can be chaos. This gather was fairly well organized. We did pretty good. I took J'Lo - thinking I might be moving cows on Jack the next day on a much longer drive. J did fine.

J and I found a stray calf even. We brought it in to the sorting pen. Either it, or it's brother - escaped the sorting and took off after who knows what. I was the only one outside the sorting pen on horseback so J and I took off after it. We almost had it turned but ran up on a badger hole land mine and had to pull up. The calf squirted through the fence and took off. I figured it wasn't worth breaking a leg or neck. About the same time, a gal took off after another calf and her horse fell in a hole and flipped ass-over-teakettle on her. Luckily, neither horse nor rider were seriously hurt.

Beautiful country - I miss living in the Owyhee's.


No comments:

Post a Comment