Saturday, April 25, 2020

Trail Log: 4-25-2020


  • Trail: Bear Creek area
  • Miles: 4.13
  • Riders: Self 
  • Horses: Jack
  • Dogs: Hank and Shade




Notes: If I have to go into town, I might has well make the best of it. I needed to pick up more paint at the hardware store. I don't like standing around waiting for them to mix it. I handed them the paint samples and told them I'd be back before they closed.

The WRT trail-head was packed with "social distancer's." I drove past it for another spot. I wanted to check out a road toward the Mercury Mine I've driven by over the years. I unloaded at a triangle/junction and set out exploring. The road didn't go too far before ending at a hot wire. I'm fairly certain it was still public access but I didn't want to mess with the fence so we looped around and climbed to the top of a ridge overlooking the Weiser River. Jack is not afraid of heights and walks right to a ledge. I always hope he doesn't someday decide to find out if he's part Pegasus.

I've been carrying a geocache around for several years with the intent of setting it someplace. This looked as good as any. I hobbled Jack and headed for a scraggly tree perched atop the rim. Most geocaching is done from a vehicle of some sort. Kind of lame. I've set a few from horseback and once in a while they get a hit. It's fun, anyway.

I watched Jack grazing down below while I set the cache. A herd of cattle decided to check him out and started trotting toward him. For a minute I thought I was going to have to walk back to the trailer. He threw his head up, snorted and started to hobble off. He can move dang near as fast hobbled as not. I yelled at him, got his attention and he stopped and waited for me. *phew* It wasn't that far to the truck and I ended up walking anyway - but it was a good feeling knowing he didn't run off and leave me.



No comments:

Post a Comment