Thursday, January 6, 2022

Trail Log: 1-6-2022

 



  • Trail: Aguila - State Land - Powerline loop
  • Miles: 7.06
  • Riders: Self
  • Horses: Jack - Drifter
  • Dogs: Hank


Notes: Realized  as I type, this was my first ride (outside the arena) of 2022. I think most folks would agree that 2021 was a crazy year and just as many are happy to see it leave. For me personally, it was filled with so many ups and downs it felt like the year of the rollercoaster. When it was all said and done, I'd say it was a pretty productive year...at least for me. 

I ponied Drifter. Had I not been running out of daylight, he could have used a few more miles. He's kind of a punk the first few miles or until he gets tired. He's not terrible - he's just full of energy and wants to pick his own pace...and his own route. He thinks he knows best. Today the moment I've been expecting came to pass when he got the rope under Jack's tail. Jack didn't appreciate it at all...but did a whole lot better than I expected. Getting it out was a challenge. I didn't know a horses tail could clamp down that hard! Fortunately, Drifter didn't move much so the rope didn't zip and burn it's way loose. I was able to lift Jack's tail and jerk down on it hard enough it came free ...and nobody died. 

Dan and Drifter




I stopped by the neighbors on my way back and visited with Dan. He played with Drifter a little ...picking up his feet and mauling all over him. Drifter is great with me but doesn't seem to trust other people much. Jack is a "one person horse" for the most part and I'd rather not have Driff be the same. Hopefully but the time the farrier gets here next week he will be easier to trim. 

I figured it was a good time to throw a saddle on him - while he's spent a bunch of energy in the desert. He didn't mind at all but we didn't move around much. Baby steps....

OH! I almost forgot! I picked up an old (and I mean old) bumper pull trailer for running around so I don't have to hook up to my LQ for day trips. It's an old 1979 WW 3 horse slant or 4 horse straight. I've never seen on like it. It's really narrow but long. I call her "Run around Sue." Looking forward to our first trip to the boonies! 



"Run around Sue"


No comments:

Post a Comment