Monday, February 19, 2024

Trail Log: 2-17-2024

 

Sharon, Elli and Sally 


Trail: Aguila - State Land

Miles 5

Riders: Self

Horses: Jack

Notes: My birthday came and went uneventfully. I took the dogs for a decent hike in the morning. We hiked 5 miles to above the power line road. It was somewhat of a relief to know I could still manage it.  I haven't hiked since "COVID Christmas" AND apparently I'm old now. 60. I can't even wrap my head around that number. It's not the aging process that freaks me out. When you aren't one of the "beautiful" people to begin with  - a few wrinkles and white hairs don't scare you. It's not the age...it's the lack of time you have left that's bothersome. Possibly why I haven't been blogging...I'd rather be out doing while the doing's still an option. 



Later in the afternoon, Jack took me on our annual birthday ride. I decided to try out an endurance saddle I've been packing around. It belonged to a friend who passed a couple of years ago. Sharon was an endurance rider. She rode the 100 mile Tevis in her late 50's. The saddle is lightweight and super comfortable. Jack moved really well in it. It's about as close to riding bareback without actually being bareback. The stirrup leathers hang in the perfect forward position for me. I plan on using it more often.

 I miss Sharon. I miss Dusty - another friend that passed recently. Jack wears a headstall and a set of stirrups that belonged to Dusty. It sort of felt like my friends were riding along with me. Small consolation for the loss of the people we love...but it's something.   


Dusty on Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment