Sunday, September 27, 2026

Trail Log: 9-27-2026

Drifter chilling between runs


  • Trail: State Land - Aguila
  • Miles: 3.87
  • Riders: Self - Nina
  • Horses: Drifter - Barbosa 
  • Dogs: Groot - Harley - Pilot

Notes: Pre shooting-practice ride. After Nina got dumped at last practice - we decided we better warm up a little better before going straight to shooting. We rode out with the intent of riding to Burro Canyon. That intent went by the wayside after the second rattler sighting. This after killing a Mojave last night. I was puttering around in the evening and spotted one slithering out of the horse pen and under my truck. It was  chill for a Mojave. They are normally very aggressive. This one was fat, slow and didn't buzz me or the dogs. I almost felt bad dispatching it. Apparently not bad enough. I shot it 8 times and then cut it's head off AND cremated it in the burn barrel. The recent rain drives them out from what I hear. I also hear they are having their creepy little babies this time of year. I'm pretty sure if I saw a rattle snake giving birth I would die on the spot. That's why I spent 8 rounds of bird shot on the one last night. I wasn't taking any chances of it spitting out a squirming mass of hissing evil. *shudder*

Practice was great. Drifter and I shaved off a second between two runs and was within 3/100's of a second between a dry run (no shooting) and a live run. 


No comments:

Post a Comment