Monday, August 10, 2020

Trail Log: 7-31-2020

 

  • Trail: West Yellowstone - Continental Divide - Lion Head
  • Miles: 15
  • Riders: Self - Dallas
  • Horses: Jack - Shiner

Notes: With temperatures in the triple digits for the next foreseeable future - it was a good time to load up and head for Montana. The Wyoming Desperado's put on a nice little shoot at the Diamond P. ranch outside of West Yellowstone. This was my fourth year shooting at the Diamond P. I've won my class the three previous years - two of which were move up wins. 

I talked myself into sacrificing my W. Yellowstone winning streak by leaving J'Lo at home with the breeder and taking Jack. He did amazing for his third shoot. We shot clean and missed 2nd. place by a little over a second. I'm asking for a little more speed on each run. He's supper smooth - which has brought us a clean shooter check at each shoot. By next spring I expect his times to exceed J'Lo's. We shall see. 

The West Yellowstone shoot continues to be one of my favorite shoots. Met up with some old friends and made a few new ones. Dallas and I hauled up to the CD trail head and rode up to the top of Lion Head. Beautiful views of Idaho and Montana with every shape and color of wild flower's splattering the hillsides. 


The 15 mile steep climb took the edge off Jack and he was calm and collected in the arena - helping us pick up our 3rd. clean shooter check. 

A gal who does mounted archery was camped beside us. She pulled out her bow/arrows and let me, Karen, Susie and Joan shoot at a target and each other! We got to participate in the "ring of fire." You place two hula-hoop size rings about 35' apart and shoot at each other with soft foam tipped arrows. It's a blast and helps you learn to knock fast and shoot without thinking! 

I loaded up Monday morning to head on over to Dillon Montana to visit a friend for a few days before making my way back to Idaho. 




No comments:

Post a Comment