Monday, August 10, 2020

Trail Log: 8-8-2020

  •  Trail: Meadow Creek - Idaho City - IMO
  • Miles: 22.72
  • Riders: Self - Jones - Dusty
  • Horses: Jack - Zeke - Raycine

I pulled in from Montana Thursday afternoon, topped off the water and got a few hours of sleep before meeting Jones and Dusty at our regular meeting place (The Liquor Store) Friday morning. 

It was nice and cool in the mountains - especially at night. If I didn't have to water, spray weeds and feed the cat's now and then - I wouldn't go home until fall. 

We found all 5 markers in a little over 5 hours. We spent 2 hours looking for marker #2. We opted to take a "shortcut" on a single track trail north of the double track. It made it hard to figure out from above  which draw the marker was in. We were in good company, as several teams pooled up with us and struggled to find the right spot. It may have been worth it - the views from up top were something to see. 

We found the remaining markers in short order and were back in camp in time for pot-luck. 

We took a short ride Sunday morning and picked up marker #2 for the ride managers. We rode the two track this time....what a difference. Live and learn! 

Following a topo in timber is a lot harder for me than a desert topo - but I'm getting better at it by paying attention to the expected travel time to each marker. 

I found a small bush of huckleberries on one of my hikes with the dogs. SCORE! I picked a handful and stored them in the new cargo shorts Dusty gave me. He ordered them off e-bay and they were the wrong size. Double Score!

Cooling off my toes! 




No comments:

Post a Comment