Sunday, December 6, 2020

The Prickly Pear Chronicles

 

Home is where we park it! 

12-4-2020: Sterilite Stash of Unmentionables

I do not like going to town to run errands, shop or make appointments no matter how important they might be. If I have to go into town at home, I usually load up my horses and get a ride in on the WRT to dilute the disdain of having to do anything remotely civilized. Cindy, in part, feels as I do. So when she needed to go to Surprise to pick up an appliance and run errands, I went along to squeeze in anything I might need to do as well.

Living the majority of your days in a tiny 8 foot short-wall can feel a bit cramped. A person becomes extremely creative with space management. Where to put ones socks and underwear can become a major accomplishment in creative thinking. Last year I lived out of a duffle bag. Whatever you can't hang up or aren't wearing at the time gets stuffed into a bag that in itself doesn't seem to have a proper place to call its own.

If there was a solution to my storage dilemma, Amazon Prime would have the answer. Before heading south, I ended up getting a hanging collapsible cloth organizer with three drawer like things and three open shelves. I stuffed my 'unmentionables' in the drawers and everything else on the shelves. The organizer hung on the shower curtain rod via Velcro. It sort of worked but was a pain anytime you wanted to take a shower. It would only be a matter of time before taking it on and off would weaken the Velcro and make it useless.

I needed to find a space in this tiny LQ for a more permanent, solid solution. I couldn't put it “there” because I wouldn't be able to open that cupboard. It can't go over “there” because the door is in the way. I certainly can't put it “there” unless I cut way down on my fiber intake and wear astronaut diapers.

I settled on a spot by the couch that is 12” wide and 4' high. I won't be able to turn the couch into a bed but I'm OK with that. The couch makes into a miserably uncomfortable bed when pulled out.

I got on-line and found some organizers that should work at Walmart and Target; both near where Cindy had her appointments.

We stopped on our way to watch Dave rope...I mean, attend a very important business meeting and have lunch. Dave's business dealings were quite successful at this particular seminar. Lunch wasn't too bad, either. We bade farewell to Dave and departed on our way. Which is a polite way of saying we stuck Dave with the check and skipped town.


Target had nothing that would work for my needs. I was more successful at Walmart. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but ended up getting something that might be even better. Two, three drawer sections of plastic “sterilite.” They fit nicely in the spot between the couch and steps to the bed. The color matches perfectly. My unmentionables now have their very own discrete container and I can take a shower without having to remodel the bathroom each time.

So....that was pretty much our day in a nutshell. I just dedicated an entire blog to the search and procurement of a plastic container in which to store my underwear. What do you expect? Not every day can be full of excitement and adventure! Until tomorrow...you are welcome.

12-5-2020: Pro's – Con's and Roller Coasters

I don't know if today was any more exciting than yesterday, but it was definitely an emotional roller coaster.

I have been tossing around the notion of selling my little red shooting horse, J'Lo. I bought her with the intent of passing her on when/if Jack could become a shooting horse. That time has come. J'Lo is an awesome little mare than anybody can ride and you can do anything on. She's as solid as they come. I had to really weigh the pros and cons of keeping her or finding her a good home.

Reasons to keep her:

  1. Anybody can ride her including my grandkids

  2. She's consistent. She's the same horse today as she will be tomorrow.

  3. It's nice having two horses if one pulls up lame or you need to lay them off.

  4. She is fun to shoot on and easy to win on. Jack's coming along but not as consistent yet.

  5. She will always have a good home with me. She will never be abused or mistreated.

  6. Jack likes her

  7. She likes Jack

Reasons to pass her on:

  1. It's a pain in the butt traveling with two horses

  2. Jack can be an idiot when she is around. He pays more attention to her if she is within ear-shot and it irritates the hell out of me.

  3. This is the perfect time/age to sell her.

  4. I'm not bonded with her and vice-versa – not like I am Jack, and vice-versa

  5. Hard to admit, but the money would be nice.

  6. I struggle with keeping them both in the game and legged up.

  7. I'd rather ride Jack outside of the arena.

  8. I prefer a taller, rangier horse.

  9. One horse is cheaper upkeep than two.

  10. Jack gets ridden half as much as he should and vice-versa

  11. She deserves to be somebody's favorite horse

Both lists can go on and on. I came to the decision to sell her when I realized I was looking for excuses to justify my decision either way. I realized it boiled down to I'm just not that bonded with her. All Jack has to do is not blow smoke out his nose or not try to buck me off and I'm praising him and loving on him and telling him what a good boy he is. J'Lo goes out and wins me two shoots in a weekend after being laid off for the season and all she gets is an extra cookie. That's just wrong. Technically, she is a better arena horse than Jack may ever be. I'm just not as attached to her for some reason. She deserves to be somebody's favorite horse and I am holding her back.

I came south early for several reason. Mostly, I love it down here. I would live here 6 months out of the year if I had my own place. I wanted to shoot in the Tombstone Helldorado shoot. It was canceled twice last year. Third – I had posted J'Lo for sale on an obscure social media sight. A guy showed some interest in J'Lo. He would be at the Tombstone shoot. It would be a good opportunity for him to see her and for me to get to shoot in the Helldorado. Win win.

I recognized the man when the announcer said his name. I don't know if he recognized me or not. I imagine so. However, it felt like he sort of avoided me. Or maybe I was avoiding him. Blake, my son, told me several times to go talk to him about J'Lo...to see if he was interested or not. Call it a gut feeling or what have you...I could not do it. This was not the right person for J'Lo and apparently she was not the right horse for him. He could have been the freaking horse whisperer for all I knew...it just did not feel right. Call me weird – or, maybe I wasn't ready to let her go just yet.

He watched every run we made and J'Lo smoked every one of them. We won both shoots. Still, he never acknowledged us or tried to approach me. He rode a nice looking chestnut and made some awesome runs. I believe he won his class. He didn't appear to stay at the Livery with his horses and tack. I couldn't do that. I'd be too freaked out my horses would get into some trouble or somebody would steal them! Heck, if I can't see my horses out my kitchen window I think something horrid has befallen them.

My gut feeling was validated when I finished my last run and Dave peered over his saddle as he got ready for his run:”Young lady, you better not sell that horse. You have her priced too low.” Dave might have been joking...I have no idea. All I know is I took it to heart. J'Lo was not for sale in Tombstone.

Blake drove home from Tombstone which gave me the opportunity to really mull over whether to put her up for sale or not. It was then I realized it wasn't that I wanted to keep her forever, it's that I wanted to know she would have a good home and be cherished. The decision to find a home for her became clear and final. I'd post her on a shooting sight, ask a fair price and see what happens. I didn't have to sell her unless it felt right.

Within minutes of posting the ad, the PM's poured in. I couldn't keep up with them. I finally turned my phone off at night so I could get some sleep. Some people were just curious – others seemed genuinely interested. A large majority, I felt, would be a great fit. I had to be sure. I did the only thing I know to do in situations like these: I prayed. I asked God to bring the right person for J'Lo if there was one. If not – I would be OK with taking her back to Idaho in the spring.

A few inquiries stood out: One man wanted her for his 6 year old twins. Perfect – J loves kids. A few others were looking for calm, level headed shooting horses. One gal PM'd that her sister, a SL4, was looking for a horse to replace her forever horse that had come down with a serious medical issue. A brain tumor. I never thought about a horse getting a brain tumor. It hit close to home. It brought me back years ago when my then 11 year old son was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Cindy recognized the lady's and assured me that if they bought J'Lo – she would have an awesome home. The sister, Leslie, PM'd me right away and we made arrangements for her to come out and see J'Lo the next morning. In the meantime, the guy with the little twins would send somebody over to look at her the day after.

Maybe I judge people too quickly. I liked Leslie from the minute we met. She has a calm, quiet demeanor about her. Dave said to not have the horse caught and ready before she came. Otherwise, people might think you rode them down or they were hard to catch. You cold leave J'Lo out in a pasture for six months untouched and she would be the same horse you rode the day you turned her out. I handed Leslie a halter and pointed to where J was penned.

Leslie put J'Lo through her paces while I pretended like I wasn't watching. I'd glance over now and then to see how they were getting along. I swear J'Lo handled better than she's ever done for me. Flying lead changes, an awesome little stop...the works. She's always had a good stop on her, but I struggle with flying lead changes on all horses. I found that if I just get out of their way, they change on their own. Leslie, on the other hand, seems to know how to Q her to get her to swap leads on command.


I offered to let her shoot on her or take her for a trail ride. She had seen enough. She offered me a little less than asking price. I stuck to my guns. I had priced her as low as I was willing to take. She was worth it. Leslie said for full price, she felt she needed to vet check her. I would too! I had no problem with that, but had to let her know that if the people looking at her tomorrow didn't creep me out and offered to take her home, she would be gone.

Leslie understood and said she would be in touch and left for home. I know she liked the mare and I could tell J'Lo liked her. I text her right away and told her that I would not make her wait. I'd text the people and tell him if they wanted her – they would have to let me know sooner than later...that she was sold pending a vet check if they didn't take her.

The guy immediately text back and said he would be sending somebody out to look at her that evening. At the same time, Leslie called back. She would take J'Lo and forgo the vet check. She would be over in the morning to take her home. I was ecstatic. I then quickly text the man back to tell him he was too late, she was sold. He text back and offered more money. Good hell. This horse trading business is exhausting. I declined his offer. I wouldn't do that to Leslie, or J'Lo. Those two are a perfect match. God had answered my prayers to find J'Lo a better home than she had with me.

12-6-2020: Pin your ears back and give'em hell.

11:00AM~

Leslie, her sister Molly and Molly's husband, pulled in to Crandall's by 11:00AM. Cindy helped me with paperwork. We printed off a bill of sale and a copy of her AQHA papers. The originals are being sent to me from Idaho. Leslie will be shooting at the “Let's build a snowman Shoot” at the Larkyn arena on J'Lo. I'll transfer the rest of the paperwork to her then.

I'm not sure what it's going to be like seeing J'Lo at the shoot! I'm sure her and Jack will recognize each other. I do know I am glad that Leslie is not in my class. Jack and I cannot compete against J'Lo yet. I sincerely hope Leslie and J'Lo totally kick ass. I told Leslie that J'bird will put you anywhere you point her – so point her where you want her and let her have her head and you will take your class. I'm excited to see what a good rider and higher level shooter like Leslie will bring out in her. I think they will be unstoppable. As sad as I am to see J'Lo go, I am more excited for them both.

J'Lo didn't look back as she willingly jumped in her new fancy trailer. I didn't look back either as I fought back tears and buried my face in Jack's fuzzy neck. I had already said my goodbye's earlier that morning:

8:00AM ~ earlier in the day

I wanted to give J a bath so she looked all spiffy for her new home, but it was too cold. I didn't want her getting sick. She would be stressed enough...or so I thought. I brushed the dust off the best I could and tried to remain detached. I failed.

I know she didn't understand what I was saying, but I had to say it anyway. I wanted her to know that I had found her a home where she would be somebody's favorite horse. I wanted her to know that I appreciated, admired and respected her beyond words. She is and will always be the little mare that came in to my life at just the right time. She brought me so much more than buckles, winners checks and trophy jackets. She helped me to stay in a sport that I have grown to crave. She gave me the confidence to step outside my comfort zone and prove that we were as good as anybody in the arena. Most importantly – that little red fire engine taught me that no matter what life throws at you...pin your ears back, give it all you got and give 'em hell...every single stage.





No comments:

Post a Comment