Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Trail Log: 2-8-2021

 


  • Trail: Aguila - State Land
  • Miles: 7.91
  • Riders: Self
  • Horses: Jack - Drifter
  • Dogs: Hank and Wyatt

Leading the way up Burro canyon


Notes: Today I ponied Nitro going out and ponied Drifter coming home. That boy was feeling his Wheaties. I can't blame him - he was cooped up the day before and didn't get out of his pen. For the first mile he wanted to play with Jack and check out every shrub, bunny and cacti on the trail. Fortunately, he gives really well to pressure. I finally got tired of checking him up and let Jack take care of it. 

We rode around the point of the power line and doubled back into burrow canyon. I got off to water the dogs and offer Jack and Drifter a drink out of my hand. Jack knows the routine and will drink out of my hat, my hands or  what have you. I was a little surprised when Drifter followed suit and lapped up the water out of my hand. I think he's going to be a great trail partner. 

Once he leveled out I threw the lead over his back and let him go at liberty. It was fun watching him buzz around checking everything out. Several times he got in front and led the way. For a baby, he has a lot of confidence and very little fear. 

At one point he had ventured off a little farther on his own. Jack and I took off at a run to see what he'd do. He was on the opposite side of a wash running to catch up and sailed across it. A big difference from the first time I took him out and he had to think about how to get across a wash!  He kept up after that and followed close behind as Jack ran through the desert weaving around greasewood and over washes. 

Uncle Jack and Drifter getting a drink 


Unfortunately, we led him right over a hidden cholla and he and Jack both got a fetlock full. A sturdy pair of needle nose pliers and a lot of patient and I'm happy to report both horses are cholla free....for now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment