Tuesday, November 13, 2018

11-11-2018:




  • Trail: Evergreen Rd. Cattle Drive
  • Miles: 5
  • Ave. mph: 3.0
  • Max mph: 6.7
  • Riders: Self - Ralph - Jon - Jessica - Riley
  • Horses: J'Lo - Jack - Rosie - Blaze - little buckskin Jess and I rescued and gave to Riley. 
  • Dogs: Riley's two awesome cow dogs. One named "Phil"  - didn't catch the other. 


Notes: Jon asked for help moving cows from his home pasture to Jensen's pasture on Evergreen. With the exception of "my red cow" none of them had been driven or pushed with dogs. I asked Ralph to help since I'm pretty sure he was the only one other than Riley and Jess that new what they heck they were doing.

We drove them about two miles - through yards, into poorly fenced pastures and around every haystack in between. Jon rode Jack who did amazing for a horse that can get a little excited under pressure. J'Lo did wonderful as well. She is cutting horse bred so this was right up her alley. Those cows were not getting by her, for sure. I just sat up there and let her do the work. I have no idea what I'm doing.

We probably pushed them a little faster than necessary. They weren't at all interested in following the hay truck. If it weren't for the two cow dogs I think they would have scattered to Parma. Still - went a lot smoother than expected. They are a nice, gentle bunch of cows.

Chili and cornbread (made by my granddaughter Audrey) was served at Jensen's after. It was a nice gathering with family, old friends and new.


No comments:

Post a Comment