Saturday, November 3, 2018

Trail Log: 11-3-2018


  • Trail: Weiser River Trail - Galloway dam
  • Miles: 6.44
  • Ave. mph: 3.0
  • Max mph: 12.2
  • Riders: Self
  • Horses: Jack and J'lo
  • Dogs: Shade and Hank




Notes: I got up early to get some work done around my place thinking the weather was going to turn south. The weatherman said wind and possible rain. He lied. I'm glad he lied. When the wind didn't come and all my work was done, I saddled up and headed for a quick ride on the WRT with 3 hours of daylight to play with.

I put in at Galloway and rode north up the canyon. A lady was saddling up three horses at Presley Bridge. I couldn't tell if there were other riders. There were two pickups - but only one pulling a stock trailer.  Shade and Hank sniffed around her stock trailer. I called Hank back but Shade can't hear me. I apologized  to the lady and told her that she was deaf. She sort of smiled and said that's ok - no problem.  She didn't appear to be in the mood to chat. I got Shade's attention and we headed on our way.

I'd gotten off to walk a little ways. When I climbed back in the saddle, I noticed the lady was just coming through the walk through gate; riding one horse and towing two pack horses with empty, soft panniers. I very rarely ever run into another lady riding alone. I considered waiting for her but decided, like me, she probably enjoys her time alone now and then. I squeezed Jack into a long trot - dragging J behind - and kept a good half mile ahead of her.

Shade was doing great. It was cool out and she could get to water anytime she needed. Still, I didn't want to push it. 3.5 miles in I swapped horses and headed back. The lady had gotten off her horse. Maybe she likes to hike and ride, too? I watched her mill around a while before climbing back in the saddle. When we met up, I pulled off the trail. I tried to engage her in conversation. "Way too nice of a day not to be out, huh?" She didn't respond. She seemed kind of nervous. Maybe she was worried about her horses meeting other horses on the trail? She didn't make eye contact. I spoke again - "Well, you enjoy your ride and stay safe." She responded without looking up: "Thanks.."

Odd. Oh well, not everyone you meet is going to be overly thrilled with your presence. I nudged J'lo into a slow lope and proceeded toward the trailers. A few minutes later J'lo freaked out at something off the edge of the trail. She snorted, balked and stomped at my urging. The dogs had found something they were interested in. You never know what your going to run into on the trail. There's been everything from rattle snakes to dead bodies. I urged J closer to the edge to get a closer look at what the dogs were investigating: I giant fresh gut pile. Probably deer or more likely elk by the size of it. Where the hell did that come from? Hunting from the trail is prohibited.

I spent too many years as a kid reading Encyclopedia Brown and as an adult watching Monk, the OCD detective, not to start formulating the crime scene in my brain.

The lone packer lady wasn't really alone. Her husband/partner/accomplices - were ahead of her on the trail. They had either: 1. Illegally shot a large game animal from the trail . Or 2. Had legally bagged one across the river. The wounded animal then managing to cross the river and eventually bleed out to meet it's demise on the WRT.

Said accomplice then makes cell phone contact with lone lady packer to bring pack stock in to pack out the carcass. By the size of the gut pile and the need for two pack animals - I will surmise the animal to be a large elk; not uncommon on the trial. Once we found an Elk shed standing up in a bush not far from the spot the gut pile was discarded.

The lone packers uneasiness was likely due to encountering me on the trail. It is illegal to shoot from or across the trail. Even if the animal was taken legally - she would still be nervous thinking she might have to explain the whole thing.

 That gut pile didn't get there by itself and it was not an animal kill (cougar or wolves) - What about the other truck? They were parked in such a way that you knew they belonged together - she wouldn't have pulled up that close to some random vehicle if she didn't know them. The lady lone packer also looked like she planned to be out there longer than a couple hours. She was bundled up pretty good if she was planning, as I was, to be back by sunset. Why would she be packing two horses with empty panniers? Granted - I've done it myself for practice. However - when you add all the other ingredients - you pretty much come up with poacher pie.

So yep - that's my theory. Sound far fetched? I bet you money I'm pretty darn close. Never a dull moment on the WRT. The good news, no pigs this time!


No comments:

Post a Comment