Tuesday, March 3, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries:3-3-2020




It felt like the final day of my snowbird adventure was a miniature replay of the last two months. I squeezed in a little bit of everything. This blog piece will also be brief for two reasons. 1. I want to be up early to get things squared away so we can hit the road as soon as Patty is back from her dental apt. 2. I'm on battery power and my laptop is about to die.

I finished cleaning pens and feeding by 7:30 AM. Cindy had things to do out of town and Dave had a business meeting at Rancho Rio in Wickenburg. For everybody that has been reading my blog, you know the previous sentence is total BS. For those reading The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries for the first time: “business meeting “ is code for “roping” if it involves Dave.

One of the many things I'm going to miss about this place is taking my dogs for a walk every morning. You can step out your front door and walk in any direction for as far as your legs can carry you. There are no roads, no concrete – no traffic – no buffalo gnats or mosquitoes. There is something interesting to see down any path you choose. I think the dogs will miss it, too.

After our walk, Patty and I drove into Aguila to check out the Tuesday flea market. Many of the same vendors set up their wares every week. I looked around for Pa and Boy. I must admit part of me was a little saddened they were not there. I bought a vintage oil lamp from a guy that could have been Boy's other brother, Boy. I will think about them every time I light it. I plan to light it a lot. Not so much because I will miss them...but because after my encounter with them at the Family Dollar, I'm a little scared of the dark.

We stopped at the Coyote Den for ice tea before heading back home. I saddle Jack and J and set up a few random cones and barrels. I worked on loping Jack around the cones and barrels in no particular order. We increased our speed as we (I) got more comfortable. Jack did great...he gave me more speed and rated back when I asked. Granted, I wasn't shooting but he did all I asked of him without getting chargy on me.

I swapped to J'Lo. Patty came out to watch and help me work on my lines. She set up the “S” pattern I'd taken the scenic route on at the Winter Range shoot. Cindy had suggested I don't think about shooting and just start running through a course maintaining speed. Between doing that and Patty's coaching on course management...it was like somebody turned the lights on. J'Lo shot through the pattern making flying lead changes and sweeping barrel turns like a jet ski...all without ringing her tail. All I have to do now is hope I can shoot that fast. I am looking forward to practicing what I've learned this last two months from Kenda, Cindy, Patty, Rob and others when I get back to Idaho. Once it all comes together – I know we are going to do better.

Cindy made reservations for 10 at Nicholes West in Congress for a Snowbirds farewell dinner. We met up with Jamie Z, Rob and Shelley B. and Mari and Dan M. at the restaurant. Half way through dinner I felt a bit of melancholy set in. I was really going to miss these people – and so many others I've met on this journey. I can't express the kindness and generosity of damn near every person I've encountered since arriving in the little town of Aguila Arizona 60 days ago. The melancholy lifted as suddenly as it came on. This is not goodbye. I will see these people again! Many I will see at shoots throughout the year; others more often as we live in the same State...some as close as the next town.

While I'm not thrilled about going home – I am less distraught about it than I was when I thought I was leaving a week ago. I would choke on using the word “home” when referring to Weiser Idaho. I would call it 'north' or “The place where I pay taxes” ...anything but “home.” That is ridiculous. Referring to any one place as home does not lesson your attachment to another. Home truly is where my friends and my critters are. It is said that home is where your heart is. I'm OK with that now...because I've discovered that my heart is big enough to encompass two geographically separate places over 980 miles apart. I could not have said that two months ago. Two months ago, I was a new retiree. Today...I am a Snowbird.



No comments:

Post a Comment