Friday, March 27, 2020

Trail Log: 3-26-2020

Barely see the tiny horses way down there in the meadow

  • Trail: Grouse Creek
  • Miles: 3.34
  • Riders: Self
  • Horses: Jack and J'Lo
  • Dogs: Shade and Hank


Notes: Sticking close to home to comply with the Stay at Home order issued by Idaho Governor Brad Little. I think it was the right decision. Better to come out on the other end of this thing complaining about how we over reacted then coming out on the other end feeling like we just went through the black plague.

A little cold in the morning but a beautiful day. It's not so much getting in the miles these days as it is just getting out in the sunshine. I opted to take Shade as far as she was willing to go. We rode up to a meadow, hobbled the horses and went for a hike up a steep ravine. I expected Shade to stay with the horses while Hank and I explored. We hiked straight up - dropped into the ravine across an intermittent spring and popped up the other side. I looked up and spotted Shade on the highest point watching us. She kept us in sight and followed taking the easiest route back to the horses. At almost 12 years old, that dog amazes me.

I must be preoccupied lately. I had forgotten to buckle one side of my saddle bags. They caught on a sagebrush limb and ended up under Jack. They weigh nearly as much as a saddle. He grabbed his butt before I realized what had happened. I'm looking for a hornets next or some other horse eating thing before I notice them swinging under his belly. He didn't like it, but he froze in place and let me crawl under and untangle the mess with little more reaction than a snort or two.

There wasn't nearly the number of people as there was before the shelter at home order. A few days earlier, Steck was swarming with people shoulder to shoulder. Most with out of county plates - all acting like it was a big party opportunity. What few people I saw after the order were staying a good quarter of a mile away from the next. I hope people continue to comply until this thing is eradicated or it might never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment