Monday, January 13, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries - 1-13-2020




At 29°, it was warmer last night or I'm getting acclimated. It's not that much colder at home in the evenings but I have a wood stove blaring 24/7. Propane heat is nice...and better than electric – but it does not beat good old wood heat.

The farrier wasn't coming until 9:00 am. To kill time, I cleaned pens. It might be hard to imagine – but I would rather muck stalls all day than sit behind a keyboard for 20 minutes. It's somewhat therapeutic. Each horse has their own personality. Woodrow just likes to be loved on and appreciated. Tucker keeps a close eye on you to make sure you do your job correctly. He did, after-all, win Dave a saddle this weekend and expects to have things kept befitting a trophy winner. Cowboy is Cindy's cutting/shooting/anything she asks of him, horse. He's an in-your-face in a sweet way kind of guy who busies himself by untying ropes, removing your hat and has a quirky fascination with zippers. Shorty...he's all business. He has a been there, done that air about him. Him and Cowboy poop in one corner of their pen as if they are helping you out. More likely they do it for their own tidiness...but I like to think they are doing it for me.

The husband and wife team of “Simon and Connie Tafoy” horseshoeing showed up at 9:00 sharp. I brought Jack out first. I was nervous. My regular farrier has never had a problem with him but others have. I don't know what the difference is. I told Simon exactly that. Jack stood through the shoeing without giving either Tafoy a problem.

I kept hold of J'Lo's head when it was here turn. She's always been what I call cinchy. She will reach around like she is going to bite you when you cinch her up, put on her breast collar or pick up her right hind. Yes...I've had her adjusted, manipulated, massaged...etc. Etc. I think it's become a habit for her. She's never actual bit anybody – but I don't give her the chance. She doesn't try it with me anymore -instead she will nip at Jack or whatever she's close enough to reach. I'll never figure that mare out. I guess if that's her only real bad habit I can live with it. She's a pretty good girl otherwise. I'm excited to have them both shod. Now we can head for the high desert and do some major exploring!

We set up the arena for shooting practice. Blair and Sherri P. from across the fence came over and a young gal Cindy's knows from Cutting. I think her name is Samantha...if not, it is now. It's looking like Samantha will be joining the ranks of a mounted shooter sooner than later. She, and her horse, took right to it.

I shot three stages on J and 2 on Jack. I feel like I can pick it up a bit with Jack – he's loping around calm and collected. I can really feel the power under that saddle though. He's a fun horse to ride.

We went to The Coyote Den for dinner. I misunderstood when Dave asked if I wanted to join them. I thought he asked if I wanted Coyote for dinner. I didn't want to be rude but I think I'll have to pass.  As it was, I'd already ate the other half of my old timers burger from Chili's. I went along anyway and had a bowl of chocolate ice-cream. I don't particularly like ice-cream and least of all, chocolate. I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone during this adventure I guess. Either that or I was so relieved to hear we weren't eating coyote that even chocolate ice-cream seemed tolerable.


No comments:

Post a Comment