Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 1-30-2020


DELIVERANCE
A different kind of Postal Service

I hung around close to home today for a couple reasons: 1. I dread the thought of getting back in a vehicle. It takes me a couple days to get over a dose of motion sickness. 2. I also had some errands to run in Aguila. 

I had post cards to mail and stamps to purchase. The tiny, white building with an American Flag flying over it's stucco walls doesn't look much bigger than one of the prepaid parcel boxes inside. UNITED STATES POST OFFICE – AGUILA ARIZONA 85320 in plain raised font spans the Southwest style false front, common architecture here. I practically skipped inside. Post offices fascinate me almost as much as going to the dump. I have no idea...call me weird.

I looked around for a stamp machine. There was none. The post master lady entered a few minutes later. She seemed surprised to have a customer. I asked if they had a stamp vending machine. She laughed: “Honey, we're lucky to have stamps here.” I purchased 3 postcard stamps at .34 cents each and a sheet of .55 cent regular stamps. .55 cents? How long have I been gone? The last time I bought stamps, I paid somewhere around .49 cents for them. In defense of the US post office, it could be worse. During the Pony Express era – it cost upwards of $5.00 per ½ ounce to mail a letter. No wonder it lasted only 2 years. I say when stamps reach the $3.00/per mark, we reopen the pony express stations across America. Utilize the thousands of mustangs warehoused in BLM holding pens as mounts. Hire able bodied men/women off the unemployment line as riders and there you have it. Three birds with one stone. I'd ride for free.

I had a little shopping to do at Family Dollar. I was meeting Lynn, Peter and Linn there as well. We planned to ride the State Trust Lands behind where I am staying. I puttered around picking up laundry soap, 2 cases of water and a few other things. I needed ice. The girl behind the counter handed me the key for the ice freezer outside. As I made my way out the double glass doors – two men were coming in. I am not sure how to describe them without offending someone...or something. They looked like they both walked off the set of Deliverance. I haven't been leered at like that since I got caught in the middle of a sea of inmates during line movement. The one and only day I wore a skirt to work.

“Pa” opened the door for me while “Boy” passed through the door the same time I did. I hurried to the ice chest with my basket full of dollar store items hoping to grab my bag of ice and dash to the truck before the other brother Darrel showed up.

The key only opened one side of the double doors on the ice chest. The 4 bags of ice remaining were tucked back in the far corner of the ice chest on the locked side. I could not reach it without climbing inside the ice chest. I got one leg inside the chest and looked around before committing to crawling in after my bag of ice. Pa's flannel shirt stretched over a beer gut held back by suspenders begging to snap hit me eye level. I may not be a spring chicken anymore – but I bounced out of that cooler faster than you can say “squeal like a pig.”

“Key don't work but on the one side, does she.” It was more of a statement than a question. It was a plot. Pa and Boy were in cahoots with the Dollar Store. Unsuspecting snowbirds innocently trying to purchase a bag of ice were coaxed into the ice chest. The door would slam shut and lock from the outside. I knew if I got into that cooler, I'd be waking up missing a kidney or worse: as Darrel and his other brother Darrel's new “mommy.”

I looked at Pa. Pa looked at me. I really needed that ice..but how bad? Pa said he needed two bags – I could grab him a couple while I was in there. Sure. I keep looking at Pa as I put one leg inside the chest. Screw it. I looked right at him and made eye contact: “I'm going to be honest here-you make one move toward this chest and I will shoot you dead as shit.” Pa kind of smiled. I think. It's hard to tell if someone's smiling when they have no teeth. “Relax girly – Boy has him some long arms...he'll git that fer ya. BOY! Git in there and git 2 bags and 1 fer the girly.” Boy does indeed have some long arms on him. Probably comes in handy when he's reaching into two story homes snatching baby's out of their crib.

I thanked Boy for the ice thinking it can't hurt to be cordial. Maybe he'd leave me with one of my kidney's if he thought we were friends.

Lynn, Peter and Linn pulled in as I was finished jamming my ice into my borrowed cooler. I was happy to see smiling, familiar faces. Faces with all their teeth. They followed me to Crandall's where we saddled and made our way on to State Trust Land.

I took them to the power line road and headed west. Pete rode J'Lo and Linn rode Shotgun...a 29 year old barefoot sorrel with a heart of gold. I tried to keep out of the rocks as much as possible for Shotguns sake.

I imagine every tourist that comes to Arizona is compelled to play 'What's that cactus look like.” That one looks like a ballerina...another an ice skater. That one looks like a stick'em up victim and the two over there look to be dancing the waltz. We aren't sure what to make of that one – but he's sure happy to see us. The girls took it a step farther by rated them on a scale from 1-10 based on symmetry and aesthetic appeal.

The power line road passes through a steep saddle. We thought it might be too hard on Shotgun to make the climb. We tied up to let the horses rest. I went for a walk to see what was on the other side of the saddle.

I kept my eye out for the 16 different species of rattlesnakes. I'm told they don't come out until the evenings start to warm up into the 60's. It's been in the low 40's and into the 30's some nights...I should be safe. It's hard to convince myself of that when the last rattler I saw in Idaho was in late October.

I came to a little valley on the backside of the saddle nestled in surrounding rim-rock and saguaro. The sandy bottom of the valley was covered in wild burro tracks. I haven't seen any actual burro's yet...or javelina for that matter. Probably because I make too much noise trying to scare off the 16 species of rattlesnakes.

I looped around the valley floor and came back via the power line road through the saddle. I was glad we didn't bring Shotgun – the steep grade was hard enough on foot. We mounted up and turned toward home.

Jack picked his way through grease-wood, mesquite, mesa Verde and the many varieties of cactus such as saguaro, prickly pear and cholla. The ocotillo, also called The Desert Candlewood – is beginning to bloom with crimson red flowers at the tips of octopus like tendrils. The ocotillo is technically a shrub, not a cactus. Now you know. Thank you Google.

We made it back to the trailers in under 8 miles. Shotgun seemed no worse for wear. Pete thanked me for lending him J'Lo and taught me the sign for “your welcome.” I waved goodbye to my new friends from Colorado, fed the horses and finished putting away my Dollar Store treasures.

I wonder what Pa and Boy are up to this cold evening. I'm not sure I want to find out. However, it does make me nervous for the two hitchhikers we saw outside the Coyote Den at dinner. Hopefully they won't be needing to purchase ice until they get to the next county.
walking down the wash


No comments:

Post a Comment