Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries - 1-20-2020



Javelina Hunting with Friends. 


 When a stray dog shows up in your yard, you don't go to feeding them or they will never leave. I warned Lynn and Scott of this fact but they kept on putting food in front of me.

I had a few simple goals for the day: Scope out an RV Dump, do laundry and get back to Aquila before dark. Goals are for sissy's. I'm not a sissy, I am a Snowbird and Snowbirds don't have goals....they have wings!

Shortly after chores we took Lynn's Tacoma into Wickenburg to find an RV dump. You would think the Team Roping capital of the world would have two on every corner and one at McDonald's. Not so. We found the only one at the 76 Station on Wickenburg Way. We made sure we could get our rigs in and went in search of breakfast.

Lynn wanted to try the Gila Monster Eatery. Not only did we not spot any Gila monsters, but they weren't serving breakfast for another two weeks. You got the impression from the man and two pit-bull's that met us in the yard that in two weeks you may be served breakfast by the Mexican Cartel. Lynn and I quickly thanked the nice man in his wife-beater T and bandanna and wasted no time in our exit strategy.

The “Cowboy Cookin' seemed more befitting two country girls fresh off a weekend of shooting and riding. Good food and great service. We made plans to ride after breakfast behind Lynn's place and take our LQ's to the RV dump later. I hoped we could squeeze all this in before dark or I might end up in California trying to find the turn off to Crandalls in the dark.

Peter helped me catch and groom my horses. I felt like he might want to go. When Lynn handed him “Shotguns” halter, the grin on his face verified he indeed wanted to ride. I rode Jack and towed J'Lo. Lynn rode her Rocky Mountain trail horse, Friday and Pete was proudly mounted on his sorrel gelding, Shotgun. For somebody who hasn't ridden a lot – Peter rides very well.

Lynn's intent was to ride to “The Baby Mountain” as she dubbed it; a small hill covered with Saguaro. The cactus grow at a certain elevation and The Baby's elevation is perfect for them. It felt good to be out on the trail in this beautiful State. Unfortunately, we didn't get an early enough start to make it to the Baby Mountain on horseback. We needed to get the trailers to the RV dump before it closed.

We stopped at tractor supply for a septic hose for Lynn's LQ before turning into the 76 station. The drain valves are low to the ground on my LQ. The septic dump is on the backside of a curve....causing the hose to essentially lie uphill. I think I got a third of it dumped before calling it good. I might try pulling the tires up on chucks to make it higher than the curb. I don't know. It occurred to me the other morning as I was cleaning horse pens, scooping dog poop and now stressing over septic that 'POOP Management 101' could be it's own blog.

We did a little shopping at Bachas' grocery before turning back to Nine Irons Ranch. I needed a few groceries and a sewing kit. I've been carrying around a cholla sticker in my thumb for a week. I didn't want to make my thumb sore by digging it out prior to my shoot.

I wanted to take the dogs for a walk before bed and Lynn was determined to show me The Baby Mountain. Lynn said she would finish up chores while I took the dogs out – then her and Pete would pick me up in the Ranger and take us to the mountain. The dogs and I made it to the first gate before we heard the roar of the Ranger.

Pete and I piled in the side-by-side and hung on for dear life. Lynn drives like a crazy woman being chased by jumping teddy-bear cholla. First impression of Lynn might lead one to believe her to be demure...almost fragile like. That would be the wrong impression. Lynn is about as fragile as a handful of silly-putty and three times the fun.

We were flying over washouts and sliding around corners going 9-0. There wasn't much daylight left. Lynn was determined to make it to The Baby Mountain before dark. I was lost as soon as we passed the area we had ridden earlier.

We came to a collection of bee boxes. Peter showed me how to spell “BEES” in sign language. When I spelled out the letters with my hand – I felt like I'd just learned to how to read. I can't explain it and do it justice. I'd spell it out: “B” - “E” - “E” - “S” with my fingers and Pete would nod his approval. I craved that approval – I spelled it again and again. He'd smile and pat me on the shoulder. Several more times of this and I think I was getting the courtesy pat - “Ok woman...you can shut the hell up now.”

We reached the Baby Mountain at dusk. We snapped a few pictures, piled back into the Ranger and sped for home...or so we thought. Lynn didn't seem at all worried. I was a bit concerned when we'd climb into a wash we'd not been in before...ducking mesquite and creosote brush as it whipped past the side panel.

Lynn's driving of that 4x4 was impressive if not somewhat demon possessed-like. Both hands on the wheel – bent forward with eyes squinting to see in the ever darkening desert night. She'd whip around one corner – down into a wash I swear was going to swallow the Ranger...back up the other side of the wash and onto a barely used trail. Then she'd stop. “This doesn't look right. Oh-well, it has to go somewhere, right?” Off she sped...then suddenly bust up in a belly laugh that made everything right again. Even if we didn't know where we were going, we were having a heck of a good time getting there.

Jackrabbits the size of Hank darted here and there. If we get stuck out here, it's raw bunny for dinner. I wonder what kind of slow, painful death consuming raw rodent brings about in a person? Maybe we would get lucky and spot ourselves a Javelina to hunt! I secretly hoped not. I know they say they aren't a pig or even related to a pig – but they look like a wild boar to me and those creepy bastards will eat you!

Lynn said we were all good as long as we could see Vulture Peak in the distance. It was her landmark to home. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face let alone a peak 15 miles away. A flashing red tower light in the same direction as Vulture Peak shone like a beacon. Lynn pointed the Ranger at the light and sped across the desert. The fence line we needed soon appeared and we were back on track.

I was tired. Pete was tired. Lynn wanted to head back out and try her hand at Javelina hunting. If she did, she was going all by her little lonesome. Pete signed that he was going to bed, gave me a hug and hooked his index fingers together and smiled. I looked to Lynn for an explanation. “Friends,” she said. “That means friends.” I made the same gesture and rushed off to my trailer before they could see me get misty-eyed. Some fearless Javelina hunter I turned out to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment