Thursday, January 23, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries - 1-23-2020



I was finally able to sleep in this morning. I scrounged through my cupboards and fridge to find any perishable food that might spoil. I had eggs, milk and bread: French Toast it is. I like my French Toast with cinnamon and sugar. Unfortunately, the sugar I bought happened to be sugar cubs. Oops. What is the purpose of a sugar cube anyway? I tried to crush them up. They are sturdy for no bigger than they are. The best I could do was add a little water, butter and vanilla to them and make a sort of syrup.

Today was the warmest day since I've been in Arizona; 71° and not a cloud in the sky. I saddled Jack and ponied J'Lo and rode South toward the mountains. We hit the power line road and turned East toward Eagle Eye Peak. It does look just like an eagles head with a big eyeball overlooking Aguila...which means "eagle" in Spanish. 

We took it pretty easy. Jack is still haired up like a wholly mammoth and I didn't want him to overheat on the first warm day of our trip. I let him pick his way through mesquite, grease wood and mesa verde trees. He took to the washes when accessible....climbing in and out when they weren't. I think that horse is impervious to thorns. I'm guessing chaps were invented in Arizona. I was wishing I had worn mine.

We road as far as we could before hitting a fence. We turned south up a draw I that looked inviting to explore. I tied the horses where they could get to what little grass is available. I hiked to the top of Saguaro covered ridge that overlooked Aguila to the North and a whole lot of big country to the South. I spotted what I assume are Javelinas tracks. I was hoping to spot some (called a squadron) but from what I'm told, they are mostly nocturnal. They also smell slightly like a skunk – which might explain the musky odor I smelt later on that I mistook for somebody smoking weed.

Somebody was spray painting neon orange on the vegetation along both sides of the power line, including large saguaros. They had done it in the time I'd been having lunch in the draw. Weird. I saw a truck up a head. Jack honed in on the human with the paint can 100 yards from his truck. We were almost to him when he jumped in the truck – drove a hundred yards, stopped, and commenced to spraying more bushes.

I beat him to the truck this time. A “Vegetation Management something or other” magnetic sign stuck to the side of his truck. He didn't seem to have time to chat but I asked him what the markers were for anyway. He said he was spraying the vegetation that would later be cut by the sawyers. That seemed odd to me. I asked what the point of that was – there isn't a plant in Arizona that would come within 50 feet of those power lines. He said it was an overzealous government thing. I left it at that.

A quarter mile down the road, another man dressed in the same outfit and carrying an orange spray can was doing the same thing. They were leap frogging along the power line. This one was enthralled on his cell phone. I asked if they were going to cut the big saguaros down, too. He said they would top them, yes. I asked if it would kill them (just curious since from what I understand, the saguaro is protected.) He said he didn't know. He wasn't even sure what he was doing here. I left it at that.

Jack is a bloodhound. I let him pick his way back to camp. We had made a loop and weren't going back the way we came, but he zeroed in on home like a four legged GPS. Does not take after his rider.

I did a little research on Javelinas. They are sometimes called “Skunk Pigs” and put off an odor similar to a skunk but not as strong. Either I was close to a squadron of them today, or the “Vegetation Management” going on by our illustrious government employees had little to do with pruning trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment