Sunday, January 5, 2020

Trail Log: 1-4-2020





  • Trail: Adrian Sand Hills
  • Miles: 8.8
  • Riders: Self - Lee - Cynthia
  • Horses: Jack -J - Prince - Rio
  • Dogs: Hank - Cash (Shade at trailer)


Notes: Jack is apparently healed up from his stone bruise and feeling his oats. I swear sometimes it feels like that horses' hooves never touch the ground. Good to have him back. Even J'Bird had more go than usual - I rode Jack in and J out. Lee picked a great spot with awesome ground for barefoot horses just getting over a stone bruise.

A little paint stud paid us a visit from across the fence. Jack got pretty stirred up over that. I guess he thought the paint might run off with J. At any rate - he wasn't paying much attention to me so we left Lee and Cynthia and dove off the side to climb some hills. I thought Lee and Cynthia saw what I was doing. They did not. My plan was to tire Jack out climbing up and down ravines and then reconnect with Lee and Cynthia back on top. Unbeknownst to me, they thought Jack was still sore-footed and I'd gone back. When I popped back on the road - I could see tracks heading back and a few continuing on. I followed the tracks for awhile before catching site of them trotting up from behind. They had indeed gone back looking for me. My bad - I should have made sure they knew my intentions when I dove off the ridge. We continued on no worse for wear.

It was beautiful day when the sun was out. Not so much when the wind picked up on top the ridges.  Still, at it's coldest it was nice for a January day. We found a trail that headed back to the trailers that meandered through the bottom out of the wind. A nice short ride to stretch the horses legs before the long haul south in a few days.

Lee and Cindy are out there somewhere! 

No comments:

Post a Comment