Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 1-29-2020




Today was give your horse a break day. Lynn's friend, also by the name of Lynn – is in town for the week. They planned a drive up to Prescott for a day of sight seeing and invited me along. I unhooked the Bison and headed for Lynn's at the Nines. Pete, the Lynn's and I piled into the Tacoma for a day trip up North.

Lynn wanted to show us some of the street names in the tiny town of Congress. Names such as Ghost Town Road, Meandering Lane and Outlaw Drive. I thought it was quite appropriate when most of the streets we turned down in "Congress" resulted in a dead end. Something I've noticed about these small towns in Arizona: There is a second hand store, Art Gallery's and Saloon on every block and probably several of each. They aren't much on grocery stores or gas stations...but if you want to get loaded and buy a bunch of crap...this might be the state for you.

The road from Congress to Yarnell and on to Prescott starts to climb in elevation and number of curves. By the time we reached Prescott – I had to pour myself out of the vehicle. I've always been prone to motion sickness and today was a prime example of why I prefer to travel via horseback.
We found a place to park in front of the Yavapai County Court House – directly in front of a sign stating: If you don't fit – DON'T PARK. We squeezed into a spot with room to spare on both sides. We ft! Unfortunately, the local traffic enforcement officer did not agree, as indicated by the $93.00 parking ticket left on our windshield. How four pair of eyes didn't see the graphic specifying the length portion of the ordinance remains a mystery. 

We stopped in at The Lone Spur for lunch. Our waiter was quite the character. He started out by placing our silverware on the table in a most dramatic fashion. As he placed the flatware in each hand, he slowly raised his arms and exclaimed: “Look, I am a fork lift!” It would have been funnier had he actually been holding two forks and not two knives.

We wandered around Prescott's historic district and found ourselves cutting through an alley that led us to “Whiskey Row.” Saloon after saloon with a spattering of Art Gallery's and other entertainment venues line the alley of Whiskey Row. Famous western figures of the likes of Wyatt and Virgil Earp and Doc Holiday frequented the famous “The Palace Restaurant and Saloon” founded in 1877...now the oldest business in Arizona.

We stopped at the Granite Mountain Memorial dedicated to the 19 members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots who lost their lives during the Yarnell Hill wildfire in 2013. It is a beautiful but sobering reminder of the impermanence of life.

The sun was beginning to set as I made my way down highway 71. The Maricopa Indian stood tall and silent against a backdrop of stunning fire lit by the setting sun. I pulled over and rested my head on the steering wheel and had myself a good cry. Yesterday was my dad's birthday. I would have called him a day late and we would have tried to remember if it was the 28th or the 29th. Neither of us would remember. I might have sent him a card...or I might have forgot until a week later. I might have baked a spice cake with cream cheese frosting and spent the day with him. I might have. I might have been too busy. Now... I just wish I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment