Friday, January 24, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries - 1-24-2020



The upside-down River and Bee Poop

Cindy is gone to a Cowgirl thing-o-mo-bopper and Dave is...well, I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I would say roping. I was heading to the Hassayampa river (The upside-down river) to ride to The Box Canyon with Lynn and Peter.

If 16 species of rattlesnakes, cougar sized bobcat, jumping white cactus, deadly scorpions and mutant Javelina weren't enough – they got quicksand in these parts, too. Dave gave me a quick run-down on the hazards of quicksand along the Hassayampa river. “I've only seen it happen once...” he says in his best Sam Elliot meets Baxter Black drawl. “Only seen it once and that was an old boy from Texas. I'm sure you'll be fine. You're not from Texas, are you?” I've never been happier to not be from Texas.

I loaded up the critters and met Lynn at her place, a few miles from the Wagon Box Trail. I've been hearing about this ride since I came to Arizona. Today was the day to check it out. Peter's gelding, Shotgun, is barefoot and could use a day off. I offered J'Lo for him to ride. I knew she would take care of him and vise-versa.

I followed Lynn South East on 93 to S. Rincon Rd. The road to the parking area is typical of roads in these parts. Narrow and rutted with dips crossing washes that carry massive amounts of water in the monsoon summer season. It is a unique landscape with an incomparable beauty of it's own.

It looks like any other giant wash at first. Sand...sand, and more sand. The horses get a workout
trudging through sand up to their fetlocks. Not far from the trail head, the river starts to turn itself right side up. I expected the horses to drink but they didn't seem to like the water. Jack would splash in it like he always does but he never did take a drink. Unusual for him.

The canyon walls slowly start to narrow in until you reach the box canyon. The vegetation changes immediately. Saguaro and barrel cactus give way to large, gnarled trees concealing the entrance to the box canyon. Once inside, the temperature drops considerably. You are transformed back in time. Are you outlaw or lawman? Could this box canyon be your deliverance...or your damnation?

The river continues to wind it's way past the box canyon, narrowing again before opening up to a broader landscape. We rode as far as a fence line allowed before turning back.

The only downside to the area that I could see was the ATV traffic coming and going. It's amazing the places they can take those things. I worried one might catch J'Lo by surprise and spook her. She was as calm as she's ever been. Even Jack seemed to dial it down a notch. When I'd hear an ATV coming, I'd get Pete's attention so he knew it was coming. He was almost as excited to see an ATV pass as he was to be out riding. He often drives golf carts at his job and is saving his money for a dune buggy. Hopefully he doesn't take driving lessons from his sister! (Just kidding Lynn)

I will say this about the ATV'ers. They were as respectful as any I've encountered on the trail. Every one of them slowed down, pulled over or took an alternate route when they saw us. I believe they have as much right to be there as the riders, hikers and anybody else. When everybody respects the other disciplines – we all win.

We were all hungry by the time we got back. We had a wonderful super of oven baked chicken, seasoned baby reds and steamed vegetables. Lynn made a batch of lemon bars for desert that I could have foundered on. I don't know if she's really that good of a cook or I'm always starving to death by the time we get back from our adventures. I think both.

Peter taught me a few more signs. I can sign for dog and I can now spell BEES and POOP. Which will come in handy if my dog ever gets pooped on by a bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment