Thursday, January 16, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries - 1-16-2020


San Tan Flat and Snowbird Guilt - it's a thing



Am I the only one who feels guilty when having a really good time? I don't know if I feel I don't deserve it or whether I'm expecting the other foot to drop. Whichever – I'm going to enjoy the experience while it lasts.

No sooner had my breakfast of bacon and eggs finished on the camp stove when Cindy text if I was interested in going out for breakfast before they headed back. I had 30 minutes. I scarfed down two strips of bacon and an egg. I figured I could get a bowl of fruit and a cup of tea. Rob picked us all up and we were off to i Hop.

I bade farewell to the Crandalls. I would see them Sunday or Monday after my shoot – if I don't get lost on the way back. Cindy gave me final instructions on how to reach Aquila from Queen Creek via the new 202 loop. “Stay on 202...no matter what your GPS says...stay on 202 and head West to I10. Or was it I15? Looks like I will be doing a little Google Mapping before my trip back.

I spent the morning driving around Queen Creek. There isn't much in the way of gas stations to accommodate a big rig – so I filled up at the closest Sinclair while unhooked. There was a slight sketchy feel about it. The help was friendly and the bathrooms clean...for the most part. I can't put my finger on it. I got my diesel and wasted no time moving on to my next stop: Tractor Supply

I replenished my propane tanks and picked up a bag of horse pellets. I like to keep them on hand just in case somethings happens and I run out of hay. Call me paranoid. I didn't really need propane. I mostly wanted the tanks checked. I keep smelling rotten egg smell around the tanks on the outside. I don't smell anything on the inside – but the LP sensor has been going off. I filled a spray bottle with soapy water and sprayed down everything from the tank valves to the line going into the trailer. I don't see any leaks. The guy filling my tanks couldn't find a leak either. He said the smell can be normal and the tanks themselves seemed fine. I guess if I don't get blown back to Idaho its all good.

I got the opportunity to meet my neighbor here at Horseshoe Equestrian Center. Lynn is also traveling alone. Lynn came in from Colorado and is fairly new to the sport. I helped her stop a water issue she was having with her living quarters. The LQ is fairly new to her and had not been de-winterized. We got it taken care of in short order.

Earlier, Lynn met a local gal by the name of Kathleen. Kathleen lives across the Queen Creek wash from the Horseshoe park. They invited me to ride with them. We initially planned to ride in the numerous arena's here at the park. When Kathleen mentioned she could show us the Queen Creek and Sonoqui (pronounced So-no-key) wash trails....Lynn and I lit up.

I have noticed that most of the trail riding in the winter months around here either start or is contained to the washes. In the winter, the washes are dry. They run through this entire country – including right through all of the towns. You might think you are boarding in the middle of town without access to trails...but they are there. If you can hit a wash – you can usually ride for miles...often meeting up with public land extending into the hills.

I'm thinking Jack might have been the better horse for this particular trail. J'Lo gawked at everything from weird sounding birds to riding under the under-pass. On the up side- she's never walked as fast as she did coming and going.

On the way back, we met Rob Boucher leading his paints on the trail beneath us. In “Life according to J'Lo” - paints eat sorrel mares. Kathleen's young dun/roan, Jaden, fed nicely off J'Lo and the rodeo commenced. Lynn's big appaloosa gelding, DJ, was the only horse to maintained his composure. Jaden's actions really can't be held against him. He's just a coming 4 year old and naturally is going to look to an older mare for moral support. Unfortunately in this case, the mare happened to be a bit of a drama queen.

It's crazy how different two horses pastured together can be. Like kids raised in the same house – totally different personalities. What bothers one doesn't phase the other. J is as calm as can be in the arena but can be what I call “watchey' on the outside. Jack is totally opposite. Nothing phases him on the trail – but can be a nervous mess in an arena. Like people I suppose, it's what they grow up around. Jack was practically born on the trail. J on the other hand, has spent most of her time in the arena. Part of my goal this trip is to take all of us (including myself) out of our comfort zones. I rode Jack in the arena yesterday and J-bird on the trail today. Other than whinnying back and forth when they are within earshot of each other, I could not be happier with them. If there is anybody reading this that knows how to stop buddy horses from calling back and forth to each other – speak up! Both horses will walk away from each other when out and about – it's just when one is waiting back in a stall/camp within ear shot. Drives me nuts.

Kathleen asked if we'd been to San Tan Flat. When neither of us said we had, she insisted on topping off our tour at one of the coolest restaurant/bar establishments in the area. It's sort of a hybrid between Old West meets The Politically Incorrect. It has a large outside section with several bars and an outside area for dancing all decorated in a tasteful old west theme. Signs with quotes leaving no doubt as to the establishments political lean splatter the inside and out.

I am amazed at how friendly the people are here. It's not just the Arizonans. It's most everybody you meet. Perhaps it's a Snowbird thing? I'm guessing that is a big factor. These people have worked their butts off for the majority of their lives. Scrimping, saving and doing the best they can to one day be independent of the need to be tethered to an office. The day has finally come and while we may harbor some guilt for living the good life – we can't help but feel elated for how blessed we truly are.


No comments:

Post a Comment