Sunday, January 19, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 1-19-2020



Excuses Excuses

Sometimes it's easier to start at the end and work your way bottom-side up. As I type this after an amazing home cooked meal of stuffed pork chops, yams, cranberry sauce and some sort of cheesy veggies...I am awed at how I got here from there. “There” would be the Grand Canyon State Shoot in Queen Creek AZ. “ Here” being Lynn and Scott Walters' beautiful winter home outside of Wickenburg called “The Nine Iron's Ranch.” Then it dawned on me...”Oh yeah...I invited myself!”

We had two stages left to shoot Sunday morning beginning at 9:00 AM. They were using both arena's, so it would go pretty fast. Rylee was unable to fix my gun due to not having the right parts. Her brother Dylan needed his gun back before he ran his stages. I'd shoot my two and swap guns after my last run.

Stage 4 would be my only clean stage of the shoot. I checked and double checked the borrowed gun to make sure I chambered it properly this time. J'Bird put me exactly where I needed to be. It felt good to get a clean run. I was beginning to think it would never happen again. As we exited the arena, a lady stood in the alley. She'd been there all weekend. I never paid attention to what she was doing other than pointing up at the ceiling. I kept looking up where she was pointing. Every stage it was the same thing...I'd run, exit the arena and there we stood facing each other; her pointing up and me looking up trying to see what she was pointing at. Finally she spoke up: “No – look over here...at my fingers and smile big. I'm trying to get your picture!” I need to get out more.

I thought I was back on track. I fully intended to shoot my last stage clean as well. I was hoping Dylan's world champion'ness would flow through his gun and help me out a little. It didn't. J'Lo ran another flawless run. I tried to focus on pulling the hammer on that bisley thing to no avail. The trigger is a lot closer to the trigger frame than on my gun. I pulled back the hammer on the number 10 balloon and pulled the trigger at the same time...essentially going off half cocked. The only think consistent with my runs this weekend was balloons left standing and that lady pointing up at the ceiling.

I ran the Lawson's gun back to Rylee and picked up my Taylor Runn'in Iron. Rylee apologized for not having the part to fix it and I thanked her profusely for loaning me theirs. She said if I couldn't get it fixed before the next shoot at Queen's to send her a text and she would make sure to have the part.

I sat through the awards and watched several of my new friends pick up there's. I kept thinking I should be disappointed, but I wasn't. That is the way it goes. Sometimes your gun breaks – sometimes your horse has an off day. Some day's the winds blowing the wrong direction and sometimes...it's just Tuesday and you suck.

If nothing else, I learned a lot. Now I see the importance of trying out different guns in case yours takes a dump and some nice shooter is willing to lend you there's. I learned I can shoot as fast as J'Lo is running right now and confident I can keep up as we pick up more speed. I've learned not to be intimidated by “big shoots.” There's probably more than one person out there who's as nervous as you or more so. I learned to sign up for shotgun. You only need one good pistol for that!

Lynn and I set about tearing down our camps. We both needed to find an RV dump. I told here of one in Wickenburg but I didn't know how easy or difficult it is to get to it. I also needed to do laundry and Lynn wanted to go on a trail ride behind her place. Before I realized it, I was invited myself over. I suggested if she had room for my LQ and a spot for a couple horses – I could stay over in Wickenburg – we could find an RV dump and go for a ride. Maybe make plans to go to Tombstone if it works out. Etc. Etc. It would save me from having to drive all the way back to Wickenburg from Aguila. Lynn agreed.

I don't know what I expected. A manufactured home maybe...or one of those cute little tiny homes. I was not expecting a hacienda style home with 20 foot ceilings and room for a pony in the walk in closet. It is likely the coolest house I've seen.

We were greeted in the driveway by Peter, Lynn's brother. Peter is deaf. Peter is also a hugger...and a dang good one. Coming from me, that says a lot. Normally not a big hugger myself – one can't help but be wrapped up in the pure jubilation of a Peter hug. I wouldn't trust anyone who didn't appreciate the unadulterated joy that man puts into his embrace. I wish I knew sign language – I would like to have been able to communicate with him better.

Lynn and her husband, Scott, helped get my horses settle in. We hooked together all the hoses we could find for water. After being cooped up in stalls for 4 days, they were happy ponies to get out in a large enclosure.

Another day of my adventure comes to an end. When I look back on the weekend – I find I do not think much on the broken gun and missed balloons. Instead I remember the handful of people I was blessed to meet. The kindness and courage of Lynn that is indicative of a cancer survivor. Kathleen; her innate ability to put others first shone through as she became our tour guide and local resource. I will remember Jean's welcoming and vivacious personality. Scott's hospitality. Rogers plethora of Snowbird knowledge. And mostly I will remember Peter as proof that pure joy comes not from what you can see or hear – but from what you feel from within your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment