Saturday, February 1, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 1-31-2020

#23 and the arrival of Patty D. 

I finally got to wear one of the dozen tank tops I packed. It's not looking like I'll be breaking out the shorts and swimsuit anytime soon – but 70° and sunshine felt good. I still wasn't feeling up to a road trip. I opted to stay in camp and practice shooting. 

The random number generator on my phone picked course number #23; my favorite. 23 has a several elements to it I like to practice: A gate – a quick succession of fire, a moderate gun change and a staggered rundown. Perfect for Jack.

 Normally I shoot a couple courses on J'Lo first with Jack tied in the arena. Today I changed it up and ran Jack first. We shot the first run as an actual pattern. We were clean. I ran it again in a random pattern, cleaned up the balloons and swapped to J'Lo.

Cindy joined me in the arena. We shot #23 a couple different ways before setting up a new pattern. In between courses, we got a text from Patty D. that she had made it to Aguila! She had left Idaho a couple days ago and had been working her way to Arizona. Google doesn't know Dave and Cindy's address and it's a little hard to give directions to it without sending somebody on a wild saguaro chase. We agreed to meet her at Woody's in town and bring her on in.

I recognized the expression on Patty's face when she stepped out of her rig. Road weary, exhausted and relieved all at the same time. I call it road drunk. Patty followed me to Crandall's and went about setting up camp.

We set up a second course. This one incorporated a second barrel and two gates. I swapped back to Jack and ran the pattern like I would have to run it at an actual shoot. I didn't warm him up much – just climbed on and shot. We shot clean. It felt good. I feel like I am gaining more confidence in the arena with him. It's a mental hang up on my part, I know. As long as we take our time and not let ourselves get pressured into taking shortcuts, we will get there.

Tomorrow....I will introduce Patty to John Wayne, Roy Rogers and Dale Evens at the Laundromat. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment