Friday, February 21, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-21-2020


Blake, my youngest, turns 28 today. What the hell...my youngest is damn near 30? How did that happen? It all goes so fast. I try to remember that during the bad times: this too shall pass. It will all be over in the blink of an eye. I just wish we could slow down the good times.

Patty and Cindy rode over to watch Dave rope at Silver Bit. I want to make the most of what little time I have left in AZ and scoped out some places to explore. I left the horses in the pen, loaded up the dogs and went for a mini road trip out Eagle Eye Road.

Eagle Eye takes you behind the Harquahala Mountains from Aguila, crossing Tiger Wash multiple times before ending at the Salome Hwy. The saguaro are thick on this side of the range and appear much larger in height and diameter. Beautiful country as far as you can see.

I drove down several four wheeler roads to park and explore. One road led to a non-functioning windmill. Another led to a windmill that was in production pumping water into large holding tanks for cattle and wildlife. According to my inReach - this is called the “Tiger Well.” A sign prohibited parking due to it being a water source for wildlife. I parked up the road a ways and walked back to take pictures and check it out. I've never seen an actual windmill in action. The sound this one made is surprisingly soothing and could be used in those relaxation audio clips you have Alexa play when you can't sleep. “Alexa...play soothing windmill sounds.” I'll have to give it a try when I get back.
There are several mines on both sides of Eagle Eye Road. “ Black Nugget” - “Black Queen” - “Apache Mine” - “Mollie Davenport” - “Knabe Mine” to name a few. The best I can tell – I checked out the Black Nugget. Upright timbers stand like centenarians on a hillside covered in orange poppies and purple desert lupine.


The landscape changes rapidly from rolling mesquite covered hills to jagged purple mountains serving as a backdrop for saguaro forests that stretch for miles. The view opens up the closer you get to Salome Hwy into what looks like the African Savannah. I hoped to see a Javelina or group of wild burro – but half expected to see a giraffe stroll by instead.

I turned around where Eagle Eye Road intersects Salome Hwy. There is a lot more to explore in this one area alone. It might have to wait until next winter but I plan to haul out here one day next week before I head ...north.


2 comments:

  1. Next time you're there, see if you can get a short video capturing the windmill in action along with it's soothing sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did get a video of it...just need to rotate it or you have to look at it sideways. :p

    ReplyDelete