Saturday, February 15, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-15-2020




It's 11:30 PM – do you know where your horses are? Mine were tip-toeing around my trailer trying to go unnoticed. Too bad for them, I was up later than usual and heard them escape. They were in a portable hot-wire. All they had to do was stay put one more night and I'd have my round corral back after the N. Idaho team-ropers left. It looks like they merely opened both hot wire gates and walked out. The rest of the pen was intact. Jack had demolished his water tub, though. I'm guessing he got too close to the hot wire while taking a drink and things went south from there. They were polite escapees. They wandered around my trailer and found a corner with a little grass. I put them in the arena for the rest of the night and went to bed.

First thing Saturday morning I pulled the trailer back into my usual spot now vacated by the team-ropers. I plugged into power for the first time since the new converter. Everything is working as it should. Being hooked up to water is pretty sweet, too. I don't mind dry camping when everything is working but when it's not...it's a pain in the butt.

I didn't have any big plans for the day except to avoid Wickenburg while the Gold Rush days commence. Dave went to work fixing what he could on my trailer after the tire catastrophe. He salvaged pieces to put back on when I get a new fender. He cut the drop down window in half so that it shuts. I'll get a new one when I get back to Idaho.

Dave admits he is a bit of a neat freak. My dirty trailer was bothering him since I pulled in over a month ago. “Young lady – your trailer needs a little spiffing up before we put the new fender on.” We tried several products to remove the black rubber scuffs. Lime away didn't work. Kaboom didn't work. Elbow grease didn't work. Oven cleaner did the trick! Sweet!

I didn't know lime away was the ticket for cleaning wheels and hub caps. Those things are shinning better than the day I brought it home. While I scrubbed on my trailer and truck – Dave went about fixing little things here and there all around the Bison. All that is left to fix for now is the fender and I swear the Trail Hand will look as good as new.

Dave was having a few people over to rope about 1:00 pm. We had a couple hours to burn so Patty and I saddled up and took a long trot up a sandy draw before the roping. I rode J and towed Jack. J'Lo isn't use to having to work that hard out of the arena. We were loping/trotting along and came to a small wash the horses had to jump over. J'Lo kicked back at the same time Jack ran into her. She clipped him above the knee drawing blood. I don't think she was trying to really land one on him but still...sometimes I think seriously of sending that mare down the road.

They roped live cattle before changing to the roping dummy. You pull it behind the side-by-side and it's legs swing like a real steer. When you rope the horns, they break away so your rope comes off. Dave showed me how to drive it while he, Patty and Bob took turns roping. Jack and J were both scared to death of it. Dave said to follow it around and they will get use to it. I hope to give it a try before I have to leave. I actually roped years ago for a short time. I have a feeling I'd like it a lot better now.


Dave is still baching it this weekend while Cindy is away at a shoot. Roping, repairing trailers and looking after a couple of women all day makes a guy mighty hungry. We piled into the Dodge and drove to The Coyote Den for an early supper. I don't normally eat out as much as I have since I've been here. I don't know if I'm extra hungry or too lazy to cook. Probably a bit of both.

Patty built her nightly bon-fire with wood she gathered through the day. I baked a batch of Dollar Store peanut butter cookies that weren't exactly the finest...but as Dave said...”The only difference between a bad cookie and a good cookie is...well, nothing. All cookies are good.”

I remember a time when building a bon-fire meant staying up until all hours of the morning drinking beer, roasting marshmallows or what have you. It took longer for Patty to build her fire than we sat around enjoying it. It is 7:30 PM ... time for this Snowbird to hit the sack. The horses are secured in the round pen, I've got plenty of water for a shower and the trailer batteries are fully charged. Life is good.
Patty and Mocha



No comments:

Post a Comment