Sunday, February 16, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-16-2020

See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands 
Isaiah - 49-16 



The horses got a break today while Patty and I spent the day in Wickenburg. We started out the morning in Cowboy Church listening to Pastor Wes Walton give the Sunday Service. I can't pin-point the difference between Cowboy Church and traditional church – but I much prefer cowboy church. Maybe it's more relatable to me?
It was worth the $5.00 parking fee to avoid having to search for a spot close enough to the Gold Rush Days venue without having to walk across an 80 acre lot. The quality of the vendors they pulled in are top notch. I'm not the artsy-fartsy type, but if I where, I could have picked something from just about any of the vendors on-site. The creativity, quality and time the artists put into their work was well worth the hefty price tags, I'm sure. From metal art and jewelry to framed artwork of every imaginable medium.

Most of the vendor booths were set up under nice cover with fancy displays showcasing their work. I spotted a man tucked back in the corner sitting behind a single work bench. He was selling bracelets he would personalize in 5 minutes. I don't wear much jewelry, but when I do, it's usually a bracelet. The man had a patch over one eye and a form of paralysis evident by facial droopiness on his left side. I picked out a brass blank about a quarter of an inch wide. He had me write my name on a slip of paper. There were only three other names besides mine. I expected him to take the blank back and put it under some sort of automatic laser/etching machine for the personalizing. Instead, he hand etched/carved my name using nothing but a small hand held hacksaw. I watched him do it and I'm still not sure how he pulled it off. I handed him my $20.00 feeling like I'd just stolen from a blind man.


I was starving, as usual. I don't know what it is – but I feel like I'm the only one in Arizona that actually eats anything. We walked around the food court looking for something that cost less than the works of art in the vendor section. I settled on a corn dog. You can't go wrong with a corn dog...or so I thought. No amount of mustard was going to help that battered weenie. I choked it down pushing thoughts of salmonella poisoning to the far reaches of my brain.

We had planned to attend a melodrama at the Saguaro Theater later that evening. We each got a double scoop of homemade ice cream and walked over to the Chamber of Commerce to purchase tickets. They were sold out...which is cool for the melodrama itself, but disappointing for us. We convinced ourselves we were too tired anyway.

We strolled up the streets of Wickenburg and checked out some of the shops. The Old Livery Mercantile was floor to ceiling with everything imaginable. There was something for everyone in that store. I've discovered that when I'm tired..I buy stuff. Who needs a $28.95 butter dish? Nobody. But I got me one anyway. In the future, I will take a good nap before venturing among the retailers.

I needed a water bucket to replace the one Jack demolished. TSC also carries the fender I need for my trailer. Unfortunately, I forgot how Dave measured it and wrongly assumed it would not fit. I will head back in the morning and pick it up. I'll make sure to get a good night's sleep beforehand...I don't need matching salt and pepper shakers to go with my butter dish.

We stopped at the Coyote Den on our way home. It had been a sunny and warm day. We ordered an ice tea each that I swear was served to us in half gallon Styrofoam cups. Shopping might put me to sleep – but that ice tea is going to keep me awake for the next 4 nights.


We gathered firewood for Patty's nightly Bon-Fire ritual and filled Dave in on our day. Later that evening, he and Patty left me to tend the fire while they went to pick up Cindy from her shoot. I leaned back in my chair with my feet next to the cholla fire and twisted the brass bracelet engraved with my name around my wrist. I thought of the man with the eye patch and the facial dis-figuration. I thought of his steady hands as he skillfully carved my name in that tiny width of brass. The quiet, gentle tone of his voice as he called me Senorita and thanked me for my purchase. I pray tomorrow that his slip of paper is filled from top to bottom and front to back with names for him to carve.


No comments:

Post a Comment