Tuesday, February 18, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-17-2020



Being a February baby, my birthday's usually involve long underwear and searching for winter ground with decent footing to ride. Spending the day in a tank top was a first...and definitely not the last.

Another first involved my youngest son, Blake. Every year Blake calls to wish me happy birthday in his rushed, competitive tone. “Morning Momacita..what'chadoinghappybirthday has anybody else called? Am I the first? Every year I have to tell him that his brother or sister beat him to it. “DANGIT!” Blake is my trophy boy. If there isn't the chance of a blue ribbon at the end of it...he's got better things to do. Only he can turn a birthday wish into a competition. This year was no different. Blake's “rawhide” ringtone let me know that my baby boy was calling to wish me a happy birthday. “Good morning momacita! Happy Birthday! What'cha doing...am I the first? Has Athena or Dillon called yet?”
It did my heart good to finally be able to tell him that he was indeed the first person to wish me happy birthday. “YESSSSS!...ok, well, have a good one” Click.

The first thing on my birthday list was to visit Sam the Saguaro – the first cacti I befriended upon arrival. I took the dogs to see Sam on our morning walk. Sam isn't much of a talker but he does have a sense of humor. He wished me happy birthday by photo bombing rabbit ears over my head during a selfie.

Patty and I drove to TSC in Wickenburg to measure the fender for my trailer one more time. This would be my third trip in to measure that damn thing. No matter which way I measured – the fender was not going to fit. It wasn't a total waste of a trip – I'd walked out of the store the day before without paying for my propane. I made right the great propane heist and headed back to Aguila.

I didn't see the text from Dave asking me to let him know if the fender wasn't the right size until we got back. It must have been a rhetorical request. I found him hammering dents out of the aluminum fender I would have tossed in the ditch if it were not for an aversion to littering. What looked like a wadded up piece of tin foil was now straighten over the tandem wheels looking nearly good as new. A few more taps of the hammer, a couple of self tapping screws and some calking and you would have to look pretty hard to tell anything happened. Patty suggested we add to Dave's business card:
Dave Crandall
Handy Man and Auto Body Repair Services
“Specializing in Damsels In Distress”



Normally it is my neighbor who has to bail me out of all my misadventures and fix whatever I've managed to break that week. It appears that job has fallen to Dave. I'm kind of wondering if my neighbor isn't sending him money every week to keep me here so he can have a break! If your going to have friends...they might as well be friends with skills.

Gary and Stevie from across the road at Silver Bit came over along with Bob, Jeff and Roger to rope. I helped Stevie run the shoot while the boys got in some practice heading and healing. Blue eye will run left on you. White tail is a runner. As much noise as Blackie makes in the shoot you would think he'd be a runner...but he's more of a walker/trotter. Panda likes his ears scratched and Little Red makes the saddest moaning noise you've ever heard. I scratch his nose and tell him it's going to be ok. He licks my hand. Yes, I have them all named. What do you expect...I named a cactus.

They ran the steers through several times before putting them up. Bob stayed to rope Smarty the roping dummy. I had nothing to do with that name, he came that way. If it had been up to me, I would have called him Maxwell. (Maxwell Smart...get it?)

I volunteered to pull Smarty around the arena. Seems like an easy task. Drive the side-by-side around in a big circle while somebody ropes the horns or hind feet. Nope. Just when I think I'm getting the hang of it – somebody wants you to speed up, slow down...speed up coming into the corners but slow down going out of them....or the other way around. I was so confused. I need clarification: SO, you want me to slow down or speed up at the apex of the corner? Crickets. Team ropers know the exact weight, dimension and material required for the perfect swing...but don't bother asking about such things as an apex. They give you kind of a funny look. I had to admit defeat and pretend like I'm from Missouri: “Show me.” Dave gave a quick Smarty the dummy steer demo on where to speed up and slow down to teach a horse not to overrun a steer...”cuz that can get you killed.”

Dragging Smarty around is dusty work – but it's kind of fun. Plus – there is the added benefit of picking up on roping pointers. I started to learn to rope about 30 years ago. My spouse wasn't the most patient person and I wasn't the most receptive when it came to him telling me what to do. I don't take well to being yelled at – intentional or perceived. My roping career ended in a cloud of dust and a few choice words.

I had to get a quick ride in. Who knows what horrors might occur should I miss my birthday ride. I saddled Jack and towed J'Lo and went for a quick run up a sandy wash. Jack sailed up that wash like a powerful jet-ski and every bit as smooth. You would think the deep sand would bog him down but it doesn't. He loves to run. We probably should have gotten into endurance.

Spending my birthday dinner at the Coyote Den was akin to wearing Dollar Store Underwear. Cindy would not hear of it. Dave rounded up his girls and drove us to Cowboy Cookin' for dinner. As much as I like the Coyote –I doubt they had bacon wrapped shrimp on the menu. OMG – so good. They serve rolls to die for, too. Dave is a roll connoisseur. “You poke a hole in them like this...then you fill it with a gob of butter like this...kind of smash it together and let it set until the butter melts. Then you pick it up like this and EAT IT!” Dave is very enthusiastic about his Cowboy Cook'in rolls. I don't blame him – I didn't want to be rude or I would have eaten the entire basket.

I don't know if I was having hot flashes (I'm a year older, it's bound to happen) or if I was suffering the effects of the Hawaiian Cowboy I ordered to drink. It had Pendleton, coconut, sprite and something that turns it Smurf blue. I'm in denial with the whole hot flash thing so going with the Hawaiian Cowboy theory.

The Cowboy Cookin staff brought out a dish of ice – cream with one candle in it (fire code and all) and sung Happy Birthday before we headed for home. A bouquet of candy bars in a cute smiley face vase waited for me in my trailer from Patty. There were 5 candy bars and a bag of cookies. There are four of us. You can't easily split 6 items among 4 people evenly...so I ate two of them. Dave has his OCD...I have mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment