Friday, February 14, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-13-2020

Blow some shit up and Dollar Store Pop-Tarts

Today was one of those days where you have to try really, really hard to find the silver lining..and when you think you've found it – it turns out to be Tin-Foil.

I've had battery issues since I left on this adventure. I noticed at Wells NV that something wasn't right with my LQ. If I plugged in – the power would surge through the electrical – over-powering the lights, fans, pump...etc. I wasn't sure if it was dirty power or the inverter/converter thingy.

It went from weird to weirder. One minute I'd have power, the next minute the low battery indicator was beeping. Instead of charging the batteries on AC - it would surge through the appliances like a lightning bolt. A peculiar smell, like rotten eggs, caused me to assume I had a propane leak. The low indicator light is on the LP monitor.

I mentioned all this to Dave when I first arrived in Aguila. He suggested to check the batteries. Sure enough – they were boiled dry and ruined. That's when I got new batteries and ended up being charged 4 times for them. It took several days to clear that one up. When it was all said and done – It looks like I now owe them for one battery.

I installed the new batteries, plugged them in and within five minutes they were boiling and putting off the rotten egg odor. Fine..I have to dry camp until the team ropers leave anyway. Unfortunately – the batteries won't charge off my generator since that is AC.

I need battery power to keep the furnace lit. It's too cold at night here to go without heat. The only way now to charge my LQ batteries is from my truck. That would be awesome except I managed to leave the key on and my truck battery died. So this is how it's going to be today.

I knock on Patty's door and we proceed to attempt a jump start using her truck. We aren't getting anywhere when Dave comes to our aid. He tightens the battery terminals and after 10 to 15 minutes, my truck fires up. I'm never shutting this thing off again. Patty tells Dave he could start up a new business: Dave's Handy-Man Services. Specializing in Damsels in Distress. I think Dave like's the idea.

I can't second guess this issue any longer. I need to be able to plug in and keep my batteries charged. I make a phone call to “Arizona Auto Tech” in Wickenburg. It was a little after 9:00 AM when I called. I didn't expect to get in for several days at the earliest. Wickenburg is having their annual Gold Rush days. Between that and the usual influx of team-roper traffic – you pretty much avoid downtown Wickenburg at all cost.

The man at Auto Tech said to bring my truck and trailer in at 1:00 PM. That was fast. I had a couple hours to kill. I went to the dump. I have a weird fondness for the dump – no idea why. I'm sure there is some Freudian explanation involving my childhood that explains it. Or maybe I just like throwing shit out.

I arrive promptly at 1:00 PM. It wasn't easy getting in to park. The parking lot is packed with trailers, autos and RV's. The shop is run by Bill (the mechanic) and his wife who runs the front desk. One large cat is curled up on a shelf by the counter and another is lounging on the coffee maker. A lab cross puppy sizes you up for tug-of-war potential.


Bill listens intently as I ramble on about batteries boiling over and low battery indicators. When I got to the part about the power surges...he throws up his hands...”Say no more. It's your converter.” Sounds like something that can be fixed. Do you really think that's it? “I know that's it. (Bill obviously knows his shit) Your converter is stuck on 16 volts. When that happens...it will blow some shit up!” I like Bill. He reminds me of a 1930's salty sea Captain.

It would take a while to install the new converter. I didn't want to sit there in the midst of cat hair and stale cigarette smoke for two hours. I was itching and sneezing as it was. I called Lynn who agreed to come into town and pick me up. We had lunch at the Rancho Bar – 7. I remember somebody telling me something about the Bar -7. It was either really good or really bad. We took a chance on it. The food and the service was great. If I wake up dead in the morning I'll know it wasn't a wise choice.

Bill called about 4:00 PM that my trailer was ready to go. I paid my bill, bade goodbye to Lynn once more and was on the road back to Aguila. Gold Rush banners hung overhead all through Wickenburg. I counted my blessings that I'd be well out of Wickenburg before the weekend influx brought in by the annual event. I couldn't wait to get home, plug into AC and leave every light on just because I could. Dry camping for an extended period of time makes a person somewhat of a power and water miser.

A black dually tailed me for ten miles out of Wickenburg. I was going 70 in a 65. I slowed some to see if they wanted to pass – they didn't take advantage so I pulled back into the center of my lane and resumed 70 MPH. I glanced back in my side mirror – the dually suddenly backs off and widens the gab between us by about a quarter of a mile. I assumed they got the hint or there was a cop close by. I glanced back in my side mirror. Something catches my eye as it flies across the road. I don't see anything yet, but I can hear a scraping sound. I look again to see my trailer fender flapping up and down between my trailer and the pavement. At one point it stuck out horizontally it's full length...held on by one remaining bolt. This week just keeps getting better.

Now I can see debris from one of my trailers drop down windows spraying glass all over Hwy 60. I pulled off as soon as I found a wide spot and inspected the damage. The driver side rear tire tread had peeled off, caught up under the fender ripping it off. The flapping fender had bounced up breaking the glass out of the window and mangling the frame. WTF is happening.



The tread was completely gone and wrapped around the axle. I could not safely change it where I'd pulled over. Vehicles whizzed by without so much as slowing down. One thing at a time, Snowbird. First I have to get this fender the rest of the way off. It was held on by one stubborn self tapping screw. I don't know what happens to a person when they come to the end of their rope –Adrenalin kicks in I guess. About the third vehicle that whizzed by and blew my hat off was enough. I grabbed hold of the aluminum fender, ripped it the rest of the way off and tossed it in the back of the trailer. The tire was still inflated. Dear God – just get me as far as the Family Dollar at the edge of Aguila. Who knows – maybe Pa and Boy know of a good tire shop near by.

Patty texted checking on me. I said the day had gone from bad to worse, but I was limping on in and should be there within 20 minutes. I stopped every 5 miles or so to make sure the tire was still up and nothing was being further damaged. I pulled into the Family Dollar in Aguila. The day didn't have to be a total waste. I might as well pick pick up a box of Pop-Tarts and blueberry muffin mix. The beautiful girl behind the counter that reminds me of my daughter, rung up my purchases and said to have a great day. As I often do when over-stressed – I started to laugh. She looked at me kind of odd (probably thinking I'm a nut job) Instead of trying to explain my day – I said what came to mind: I don't know how anybody could have a bad day in this part of the country. It was still better than an Idaho winter. I doubt she's been to Idaho, but she smiled and agreed.

Dave inspected my trailer as I pulled in the driveway and immediately went into Dave the Handy Man Mode. “You can pick up a fender at Tractor Supply. I can get that put on in 15 minutes. We will cut this window 'here and here' so you can close it until you find a new one.” I said I never closed them anyway- so I didn't care one way or the other. “Your horses will care when your hauling them down the road when it's 40 below.” I thought to myself – if it's 40 below between here and Idaho – I'm never leaving Aguila!

“Your going to need new tires all the way around.” Fabulous. I just paid $536.00 dollars for a converter/inverter thing. Maybe I better see if I can get a refund on these Pop-Tarts. Cindy had a good point: “You can keep putting cheap tires on and replacing fenders every time this happens – or you can get tires suited for what your hauling and be done with it.” I know they are right. They've been living this lifestyle and hauling down the road for a lot of years. They haven't given me bad advice yet. I'd be making a trip to Big-0 in the morning.

How could the first month of my trip go so smoothly to have all this shit happen in the last week and a half? From the battery debacle to my retirement distribution (or lack of) screw up to a bad converter/inverter thingy and now this.

A good Bon-Fire soothes the soul. We sat around the fire pit contemplating life, silver linings and blessings in disguise. It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when you know that God is always with you. He is in control of your life. That doesn't mean your life is going to be all rainbows and Unicorns. It means that no matter what happens – God will be there with you and use every situation towards good – even if you can't see it at the time. I am so thankful that my tire blew 10 miles from Aguila near friends willing to help instead of on some deserted Nevada highway in the middle of nowhere, or worse...The Vegas Spaghetti bowl!

I climbed into bed and pulled the covers up to my chin. It cools off quick in the desert night. The smell of cholla and mesquite smoke lingers in my hair. I think back on the day. Not only on the mishaps but on the friends that surround me: I think of Patty, Dave and Cindy, Lynn and Peter and how truly blessed I am to have them in my life. One final thought before I drift off to sleep brings a smile to my lips: I'm having Pop-Tarts in the morning for breakfast! Life is good.






No comments:

Post a Comment