Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries:2-24-2020

FIREBALL MINGLERS AND MINIONS


I am officially a groupie. A fan of destiny sounds less “stalker-ish” but whatever. Several years ago – I came across a song I really liked...”Come ride with me” by singer/songwriter Dave Stamey. Further investigation into this Dave Stamey guy revealed I liked just about everything he performed. He soon became my favorite singer/songwriter. I was thrilled a few years ago when my Aunt and I went to see him perform at a Cowboy Poetry Contest in Utah. I was especially impressed when he whipped out his pocket knife to cut the cellophane off a CD he autographed for me. What a guy...

A few months ago, I got a notification that Dave Stamey would be in Utah again. I asked my Aunt and Patty D. if they wanted to go see him. Patty was up for it – but asked why go all the way to Utah when he's coming right here to Weiser? No kidding? Weiser Idaho? If that's not destiny, I don't know what is. I jumped on-line and bought the tickets.

Fast forward ...I get to Arizona and find that Dave is playing here in Wickenburg. While I am more than delighted to see him in concert twice in one year...it gets even better. Not only is he playing that venue, but he has also been booked to do a private house concert hosted by the Newman's in Cave Creek – organized by life long friend and mounted shooter – Ken Jones. I don't know Ken personally, but Dave and Cindy do. Cindy jumps on the phone, contacts Ken and asked if there is room for a couple more at the dinner/concert. Ken obliged. I will love him forever and ever in a not creepy way.

It was set. I'd get to see my favorite performer and all around swell guy not only in concert, but in a private house concert! Call me a groopie...call me an obsessed fan...call me a stalker if it pleases you...I call it destiny! I'm showering AND combing my hair for this one.

We did chores early so we could get in a short ride before getting ready for the dinner/concert. Cindy drove into Wickenburg to pick up our potluck items and the B part of BYOB. I've recently learned that does not mean Bring Your Own Balloons....so I had her pick up Fireball instead. Patty and I loped off into the desert and Dave...well, Dave worked up the arena and...I know it's hard to believe...but swung a rope on the dummy up until the last minute. Doesn't he realize this is Dave Stamey we are talking about? There are some things in life that trump even roping, Dave. Maybe Dave C. isn't as impressed with seeing Dave S. as the rest of us because, in a way, Dave C. see's Dave S every time he looks in the mirror. Dave C. could be Dave S.'s stunt double if Dave S. were to be in the movies. Pretty sure Dave C. can sing, too. He call's himself a closet singer but I heard him one day playing the guitar and singing in the LQ when he didn't know anybody was around. Not bad...if the whole roping thing stops working....just saying.

True to my word – I showered, combed my hair and even put on clean pair of pants...and not just previously shaken out clean, either. Clean as in not yet been worn since laundry day. Patty and Cindy looked as gorgeous as ever. Dave looked as if he'd been primping all day instead of driving tractor and swinging a rope. Men...they can put on a clean shirt, run a comb through their hair if they got it and look like they worked at it all day. Go figure.

I'm not much of a mingler. I sort of knew a few people – but not well enough to initiate a conversation. I'm way to introvert for this kind of thing. I headed for the last place I left the fireball. The bartender accurately assessed that I looked like I could use a drink. Why yes I could...Fireball please. I forgot to ask for the Sprite part of it until the cup was ¾ full. By the time I got half of that down...I was a mingling machine. I have no idea what 99% of those people were talking about. I just smiled big and nodded a lot and said affirmation things like, “uh huh? Oh yeah?..and “No kidding! Haha.” I do remember one conversation where a group of ladies were talking about how boring trail riding is. The non-mingler part of me wanted to jump in and defend trail riders. “Boring? I don't know what sort of trails you ladies ride – but they don't sound anything like the sort of trails we ride! Ride with me sometime and we will reevaluate that statement after/if you make it back alive.” The new, Fireball sipping mingler just smiled big, nodded and said...”huh...oh yeah.”

I looked around for Patty before the non-mingler, Fireball sipping me popped up. She had Dave Stamey backed into a corner, deep in conversation. I 'mingled on over' – I can do this. I have Fireball on my side. Patty introduced us. Dave shook my hand. My really cold hand that had been holding a cup full of Fireball on ice. “Sorry ...I have cold hands.” That's it. That's all I could think of to say. He introduced me to a lady standing beside him. Megan? Morgan? Ed? I have no idea. I had cold hands. I should probably run them under hot water. I excused myself...”I'm going to go wash my hands and get something to eat before the food is gone.”.Dave agreed.

Ken Jones, a musician in his own right, opened for Dave. Ken has a pleasant voice and is a talented song writer as well. He sang a few of his original songs. Dave stepped up to the mic shortly after Ken. I think he sounds as good or better live than in a recording studio. There aren't many singers you can say that about. His voice is unique enough to set him apart from other performers of his genre. His sense of humor is as genuine as it is unapologetic.

He sang songs that I was familiar with and a few new ones. One of my favorites in the first set is the title song for his newest CD “Good Dog.” It wasn't “Old Shep” sad – but it was sweet and hit close enough to home to threaten a few tears. He engaged the audience on a couple songs by having them sing a long. Dave C. was to my left – Cindy C. to my right. I figured Cindy could sing. She greets her little dogs every time she comes home using this adorable voice. I can't explain it. It's super high-but perfectly on pitch. The best I can describe it is a happy little girl minion. “What's you doiiiiing!? LUUUUCY! How's my puppieeeees!? OH MY GWAAAD....Why you barkiiiing...VIOLET!!!” It just makes me smile. When she belted out the words along with Dave S...I wasn't surprised how good she sounds. I cocked my head to the left? Is Dave C. singing along? I don't think he is. His foot was tapping but if he was singing, it was too quiet for me to hear. Closet singer. I wish I could sing...I would be belting it out like Cindy. I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

A 20 minute break until his last set. I perused the kitchen table laid out with stacks of CD's. I picked up the newest album, 'Good Dog' and continued to browse. Someone behind me asked which album was the best. I said they all are. He asked which was my favorite. I had to think about that. I can tell you my favorite songs: “Come ride with me.” “Campfire Waltz.” “She always wanted a buckskin horse.” “The bandit Joaquin” Favorite album? I'd have to wing it. The Fireball mingler stepped up to bat. “Come ride with me” - that's my favorite album.” Even if it weren't true – it got him out of my hair so I could finish purchasing my CD. I hand the lady my $15.00 and turn around to leave. Dave Stamey plucks the CD out of my hand, whips out his pocket knife to slice open the cellophane sleeve and signs my CD: For Laurie...Dave Stamey. OMG...he still carries a pocket knife. I said something even more stupid than, “I have cold hands”...something like - “OMG, you still carry a pocket knife” and whip out my pocket knife and proudly exclaim that I too...carry a pocket knife! Dave looks at me sort of puzzled and says: “Who the hell doesn't carry a pocket knife, especially if they mess with horses?” I swear if that man weren't already married, he'd be my next future X husband.

The final set was somewhat shorter than the first. Even guys who carry pocket knives are effected by the cold. Dave wrapped it up with one of my favorites: “Come ride with me.” It was an amazing evening. I've been on this adventure for close to two months and there are days when I still can't believe I am here. Each day brings something different. Some days, of course are better than others...but as Dave C. said when I first arrived. “A bad day roping is better than a good day at work.” That's how I feel about this journey I've been on: A bad day living out your dreams is better than not daring to dream at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment