Monday, February 3, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-3-2020


Deep cell saga and Snowbird strength 

I was bound to have a less than stellar day during my Arizona adventure. Today was a good day to get it over with. I headed in to Wickenburg to purchase a set of 6V deep cell batteries for my LQ. Something fried mine. I haven't figured out if its dirty power or there is something amiss with my inverter. Whatever the cause, I need new batteries before heading to Tombstone where I will be dry camping for the week.

I inserted my debit card to make my purchase. The AutoZone clerk said there was a glitch in their POS (point of sale) system that required them to put each battery on a separate checkout. Fine. Makes no difference to me. I ran my card. Denied. He had me run it again. Denied. Run it again please, but this time run it as credit. Denied. All three times the card reader said approved but the POS system erred out. He had me run my card on a second console. This time I swapped to a different credit card. Denied. Hmm...he says. I pulled up the bank app on my phone. I had just purchased three batteries. While the AutoZone clerk called his end of the deal – I called the second credit card I'd used to see if that one had gone through. So far it had not. The support person said if it does – don't pay it. I won't be liable. They have a 100% guarantee for disputed charges. I then called the bank on my debit card. The two debit card purchases have already gone through. Because I entered my PIN, I cannot dispute them unless I file a fraud claim. If I do – they immediately shut off my debit card. Can't really have that happen 1000 miles from home. I was getting frustrated but tried to hold my cool. The AutoZone guy was doing his best. The third transaction was pending since it was entered as a credit. Note to self: NEVER run your card as a debit. Always run it as a credit.

Another customer in the store seemed weirdly concerned with my plight. I think he must have thought the problem was due to insufficient funds. He asked several times if I needed help...I told him each time that I was being helped and AutoZone was on the phone trying to straighten it up on their end.

Meanwhile – I hung up from my bank frustrated they won't cancel the damn transaction like you can cancel a check. The AutoZone guy says he can't issue a refund because it does not show as a successful transaction on his POS (PIECE OF SHIT) system. We are in a Mexican standoff. I now have 4 potential charges for 1 battery.

The good Samaritan steps in again: Can I please help you? I would like to pay for your battery if you will promise to pay me back. I explained to him that if I could pay him back – I would just pay the damn Autozone for my battery...which is what I was trying to do in the first place. In fact, I had actually paid for it four times! I thanked him for trying to help but was sure we would get it figured out.

The Autozone guy was getting nowhere on the phone. They would call him back within 48 hours. I was leaving for Tombstone in less than 24. Finally, the Autozone guy said he would do me a HUGE favor. He would “give me” both batteries if I promised to bring back the old ones for the core charge. He would continue to work on the problem and get back to me. What choice did I have? Worst case scenario is I end up with 2 batteries for the price of four. Best case, they get it figured out and credit my accounts. He helped load the batteries into my truck, took my name and number and sent me on my way.

Later that evening, the AutoZone guy called and said the credit dept. on their end needed the last four digits of my debit card. The skeptic in me wanted to ask if they needed it to charge me for another 4 pack of batteries. I gave him the numbers with the hope that his intent was as pure as the good Samaritan willing to put his pocket book on the line to help out a complete stranger.

On the bright side – being irritated gives me super-snowbird strength. I climbed into the back of my truck and hefted the new batteries on to the front of my Bison LQ in the handy-dandy battery box my neighbor made. I plugged in to power and waited. Within a few minutes, the batteries started to gurgle. I don't remember that sound in the three years I've had my LQ. I unplugged for fear of blowing up the new, quadruple priced batteries. Maybe that sound is normal when they are charging? I'll do some research later, but for now, I'm not taking any chances. I plugged into my generator and finished charging the batteries. They should also charge while I'm driving down the road. In short – I'm going to Tombstone if I have to camp out in my truck!

I needed to burn off some grouchy. I saddled J'Lo – ponied Jack and Patty and I took a short ride in the freezing ass wind. Cold as it was, It helped to lower my blood pressure significantly. Dave pulled in shortly after I'd put the horses away. I asked how roping was: “Oh, no good...but a bad day roping is better than a good day at work any day of the week.” I have to agree. No matter what the outcome of my battery saga- I am here. I am alive. I am in Arizona, getting ready to go to a Kenda L. shooting clinic and Tombstone shortly after. No matter how cold it's supposed to get here the next few days..it's not likely to be as cold or wet as back home. Even if I have to dry camp without power for 4 days – it has to be better than 1 day stuck in a cubicle at a 9-5 job. I am a snowbird – I will persist.


No comments:

Post a Comment