Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-22-2020




It's been raining cats and dogs since 4:00 AM and Friesians, Quarter Horses and Gypsy Vanners since 2:00 PM.

The rain pelting the top of my LQ woke me up at 4:00 AM. It subsided long enough for me to feed the horses and clean pens...then pour some more. I didn't think much of it until Patty banged on my door and said she was out taking video of the washes running full with rain water.

I've been told it happens around here especially in the summer when the monsoons hit. Until you see it first hand - you don't grasp the magnitude. There are signs all over the roads that say: “Turn around – Don't drown.” Flash flooding is a regular occurrence here. If I didn't take it seriously before, I definitely do now.

The plan was to drive into Wickenburg for the Cowgirl Cadillac horse sale hosted at the Rancho de los Caballeros golf course. Mother nature wasn't fully cooperating. Even if we could get out of the driveway – we might not be able to get back in if the culvert washed out. Dave determined “we'll probably make it but we might have to park a ways and walk back. Don't worry – it won't be more than 3-5 feet deep.” I packed a swimsuit before I came south but I didn't think I'd be needing a life preserver.

We made it to the golf course without needing a pontoon boat...getting back might be a different story. The rain was not letting up. The sale didn't start until 2:00PM so we had a couple hours to kill. We found a buffet in out of the rain and pretended like we were guests of Rancho de los Caballeros until they kicked us out: “The buffet will be closing in 5 minutes.” We got the hint on the second reminder.

Everyone crowded under whatever overhang they could find and watched the rain come down in sheets. Would they postpone? The sale was being held out in the open on a circular section of lawn surrounded by bleachers and plastic chairs. I was about to ask Dave for the keys. A good nap in the Long Horn was not out of the question...it was, however, out of the wind and the rain.

Ike, the stock contractor putting the sale on, must have a direct line to to someone higher up in charge of the weather...or he's the luckiest horse trader in Wickenburg. Not two minutes before the sale started and the clouds parted and the wind and rain stopped dead. I was so thrilled I thought I just might pick me up a bidding number.

They had everything: Quarter Horses, Gypsy Vanners, Andalusian crosses..toss in a few Friesians and a pony and you could walk away with just about any color or shape of equine your little heart desired. The only requirement was a bidding number and a whole lot of disposable income.


I was shocked at the first horse going for 24K dollars. An average looking palomino that was nicely collected and loped amazing tiny little circles. If “Taylor Swift” could have laid down, sat on her haunches and let a dog jump on her....she would have gone for 50K. Several of them did. While golden palomino's seemed the most popular – they weren't the only ones going for high dollars. Red roans and buckskins with lot's of chrome were a close second. However, if your name is “Blue Chip Investment” you don't have to be palomino, buckskin or red roan. You just have to be a huge, quarter horse friesian blue roan and somebody out there will write out a check for 225K. That's Two Hundred Twenty Five Thousand dollars. To hell with a horse. For that kind of money I could buy myself a place in Arizona and have money to spare! I've never seen anything like it.

Apparently I don't have expensive tastes in horses. The ones that I liked the best went for the least amount of money. A nice black gelding that looked like he would do anything for you went for 19K. A light buckskin that was put together well sold for the lower end of 15K.

Sorrels got the raw end of the deal. I don't know what it is but people don't seem to like a red horse. An old roper told me years ago that you should never overlook a red horse. I agree. In my opinion, people are breeding out the mind and sound conformation for color and chrome. Some of the nicest built and kindest eyes in that sale were sorrels that went for much less than their flashy counterparts. But...to each their own. I'm happy with my cranky little sorrel and big roman nosed buckskin.  I wouldn't trade them for all the “Blue Chip Investment's” in the equine world.


No comments:

Post a Comment