Thursday, February 6, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-6-2020

Ulcers, Kidney Stones and Prayers

A much nicer day awaited us for the rescheduled Kenda L. clinic at Ben Avery. Very little wind and the temperature quickly rose to 40 and above. I prepared for the worse by breaking out the long underwear I'd discarded clear back in Wells Nevada. How long ago was that? At times it feels like a lifetime since the day I loaded up the critters and left winter behind. Other times it feels as if it's going way too fast. I have been on this adventure one day short of a month.

Lynn, Peter and I were on our way to Ben Avery when my daughter text that my mom was taken to the hospital in the ambulance. She didn't have much information other than they didn't think it was serious but you never know. I know. I know all to well how fast things can get serious. A similar call a few short months ago turned from “Oh, it's nothing serious” to “Your dad didn't make it.” This time I'm 1200 miles from home and there isn't a damn thing I can do except pray. My prayers were answered when I got another message, this time from my daughter-in-law informing us that mom has a kidney stone. I thanked God for looking after my mom and saddled up the horses for the clinic.

I was anxious but determined to use Jack in the clinic. Before I left, Dave and Cindy told me about a product they use on their horses called ULC-R-Aid. I've always wondered if J'Lo had ulcers. She is super cinchy and that tail never stops twitching. I've tried everything else so gave the product a try. Dave uses it on one of his roping horses and has noticed a big difference in his energy level so I started Jack on it. He was as calm today as he ever has been in an arena. No idea if it had anything to do with the product but it made a believer out of me.

I ran Jack for the first ¾ of the day and swapped to J at the end to give him a break. Both horses did better then their rider. I shot clean on Jack but went duck hunting on J'LO like I'd never shot a balloon before today. Kenda looked up after my run: “I think you killed a dove!” Some runs your the ammo...some runs your the balloon.

We are spending the night at Ben Avery before heading on to Tombstone in the morning. “Cowboy Doug” from the Tombstone Livery called to check in and verify that we would be there tomorrow. He said there was only one requirement when staying at the livery – and that is we must attend the Saturday night dance. “Cowboy Doug” has obviously never seen me dance. There is not enough tequila in Margarita-Ville to make me a good, or willing dancer. Although, maybe I can get my hands on whatever drugs they have my mom on. When I talked to her this evening she was as loopy as a ring-tailed coon. If those med's can make a kidney stone look good...just think what they could do for my dancing skills!

1 comment:

  1. Or maybe some ULC-R-AID will get you lined out like it did your horse and you will dance like a princess! :-)

    ReplyDelete