Monday, February 3, 2020

The Pumpkin Cheesecake Diaries: 2-2-2020


 Pass more gas and leave hope behind The Quartzsite Camel



It was one of those days where you start out doing one thing and end up doing something all together different. Originally, I talked myself in to going to a clean shooter jackpot at Ben Avery. I said if I shot clean in practice, I would go. I shot clean in practice. I'd have to find another excuse not to go. I know it would be a blast, but didn't feel like driving all the way over there and back and have to turn around a day later and head back over to a clinic. Too much driving makes me sea sick. I also needed to get stuff lined out for a few days of dry camping in Tombstone.

My trailer batteries haven't been charging correctly the last week or so. The LP/CO monitor kept beeping. I couldn't stop the beeping unless I pulled the fuse on the monitor. A quick Google search revealed that the LP/CO detector is also a low battery indicator. I searched for a blown fuse...messed with the battery disconnect...wiggled every loose wire I could find and buried a dead cat in the back yard for luck. Not really. They don't have a back yard here.

Dave thought the batteries were probably boiled dry. It's a pain in the butt to get those batteries out and check them over. Normally they weigh about as much as a small Buick. Each battery was 10 pounds lighter. Boiled dry. They took over a gallon of water a piece to fill. I plugged them back in and let them charge over night. I unplugged while I spent the day in Quartzsite Arizona perusing the worlds largest yard sale..(aka a whole lot of junk.)

The Quartzsite road trip was also the result of a change in plans. I planned to stay home, get some paperwork done, do some shopping for Tombstone and stew about my battery situation. Somewhere between breakfast and scooping copious amounts of horse poop, the idea of joining Dave, Cindy and Patty on the drive to Quartzsite became more appealing than fighting hordes of team-roper traffic in Wickenburg.

It was worth risking another bout of motion sickness just having Dave as our tour guide. You are never quite certain if half of what Dave comes up with is fact or something he ad libs for his own amusement.
I try to jot down tid-bits here and there so I can further research them when I'm back at my laptop. I would say that 85% of his information is spot on. 10% is based, at least in part, on fact and the remaining 5% is what I call Dave-ism's. It's that 5% that convinced me to climb back into a vehicle for the 60 mile trip down Highway 60.

US 60 is the highway time forgot. Abandoned markets, gas stations, cafe's and homes dot the highway from beginning to end. Bypassed by the addition of the newer, faster I10 freeway...Highway 60 is a ghost route of an era gone by; coming to life a few short months of the year with the migration of the Snowbird. RV communities appear like an oasis of aluminum and fiberglass. Once the winter season ends, the exodus of this mobile culture vanishes...leaving the spirits of the past to walk the desert sands in a loneliness swept by the arid winds.

We passed through towns with names such as Wendon, Hope, Desert Wells and Salome. In 1904, humorist and newspaper publisher, Dick Wick Hall, along with investors Earnest Hall and Charles Pratt, founded Salome - named after Pratt's wife, Grace Salome Pratt. The story goes that Grace Salome stepped out of a car barefoot and quickly took to dancing to keep her feet from burning on the hot desert sand. The humorist writes that: “Salome is so dry, the local frogs don't know how to swim.”

Quartzsite is now known as “The Desert Phenomenon.” Millions of RV'ers and vendors gather here for two months out of the year to buy, sell and trade just about anything and everything a Snowbird may or may not need. From buckets of rocks to bungee cords and from motor homes to MAGA hats. If you can imagine it – you can bet on finding it somewhere in the acres and acres of booths.

Dave dropped us off at one end of the “Phenomenon” and disappeared. If we'd had a horse with us, I'd know for certain where he'd gone. My second guess would be something to do with guns. Cindy, Patty and I perused isle after isle of tools, gadgets, gizmos, art, jewelry, clothing and décor. I purchased a .28 cent sink strainer. How I lived without that little gem for 55+ years is baffling.

We checked out other sections of the Phenomenon, made a few purchases and grabbed a bite to eat at the “Times Three” family restaurant. If there was an explanation as to what the name is in reference too...I missed it.

YOU'RE NOW BEYOND HOPE. Had we not been leaving Hope Arizona, I might take exception to that particular sign. There are all sorts of quirky little things of note in these all but forgotten Arizona towns. You might glance over to your right and spot a fishing boat beached in the desert sand under a saguaro with a skeleton wearing a fishing vest and holding a rod and reel. To the left is a huge John Deere grain combine that hasn't moved in two decades. Farther down the road, tourist pull over to snap a photo of the giant propane tank with “Passmore Gas and Propane” painted across it's length. Hi Jolly's trading post in honor of the Syrian/Greek born caretaker of the US Cavalry's first and only Camel Corps.

These roadside attractions, while most are humorous, have an underlying sadness to them. It is as if they are a desperate attempt to be remembered; towns refusing to fade like a mirage into the scorching horizon. I am filled with a sense of gladness knowing that as a Snowbird, I might play a small part in keeping the story of these unique communities relevant. Abandoned by progress perhaps, but not forgotten. 



No comments:

Post a Comment